Canada Labour Code
Marginal note:Request for review
251.101 (1) A person who is affected by a payment order or a notice of unfounded complaint may send a written request with reasons for a review of the inspector’s decision to the Minister within 15 days after the day on which the order or a copy of the order or the notice is served.
Marginal note:Payment of amount
(2) An employer or a director of a corporation is not permitted to request a review of a payment order unless the employer or director pays to the Minister the amount indicated in the payment order, subject to, in the case of a director, the maximum amount of the director’s liability under section 251.18.
(3) On receipt of the request for review, the Minister may, in writing, confirm, rescind or vary, in whole or in part, the payment order or the notice of unfounded complaint and, if the Minister rescinds the notice, the Minister shall direct an inspector to re-examine the complaint.
Marginal note:Service of documents
(4) Service of a decision made under subsection (3) shall be made to the persons who are affected by the payment order or by the notice of unfounded complaint, by personal service or by registered or certified mail and, in the case of registered or certified mail, the decision is deemed to have been received by the addressee on the seventh day after the day on which it is mailed.
Marginal note:Proof of service of documents
(5) A certificate purporting to be signed by the Minister certifying that a decision referred to in subsection (4) was sent by registered or certified mail to the person to whom it was addressed, accompanied by an identifying post office certificate of the registration or certification and a true copy of the decision, is admissible in evidence and is proof of the statements contained in it, without proof of the signature or official character of the person appearing to have signed the certificate.
Marginal note:Review is final
(6) Subject to the right of appeal under section 251.11, the decision made under subsection (3) is final and conclusive and is not subject to appeal to or review by any court.
Marginal note:Request treated as an appeal
(7) The Minister may, if the Minister considers it appropriate in the circumstances, treat the request for review as an appeal of the inspector’s decision, in which case the Minister shall so inform the persons affected by the payment order or by the notice of unfounded complaint, and the request for review shall be considered to be an appeal for the purposes of section 251.12.
- 2012, c. 31, s. 225
- Date modified: