Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
Marginal note:Definition of “spill”
24 (1) In sections 25 to 28, spill means a discharge, emission or escape of petroleum, other than one that is authorized under the regulations or any other federal law or that constitutes a discharge from a vessel to which Part 8 or 9 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 applies or a ship to which Part 6 of the Marine Liability Act applies.
Marginal note:Definition of “debris”
(2) In sections 26 and 28, "debris" means any installation or structure that was put in place in the course of any work or activity required to be authorized under paragraph 5(1)(b ) and that has been abandoned without such authorization as may be required by or pursuant to this Act, or any material that has broken away or been jettisoned or displaced in the course of any such work or activity.
Marginal note:Definition of “actual loss or damage”
(3) In section 26, actual loss or damage includes loss of income, including future income, and, with respect to any aboriginal peoples of Canada, includes loss of hunting, fishing and gathering opportunities.
(4) Her Majesty in right of Canada incurs no liability whatever to any person arising out of the authorization by regulations made by the Governor in Council of any discharge, emission or escape of oil or gas.
- R.S., 1985, c. O-7, s. 24
- R.S., 1985, c. 36 (2nd Supp.), s. 123, c. 6 (3rd Supp.), s. 92
- 1992, c. 35, s. 22
- 2001, c. 6, s. 117, c. 26, ss. 315, 324
- Date modified: