Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
Marginal note:Power of safety officer when dangerous operation detected
58 (1) Where a safety officer or the Chief Safety Officer, on reasonable grounds, is of the opinion that continuation of an operation in relation to the exploration or drilling for or the production, conservation, processing or transportation of oil or gas in any area to which this Act applies is likely to result in serious bodily injury, the safety officer or Chief Safety Officer, as the case may be, may order that the operation cease or be continued only in accordance with the terms of the order.
(2) The safety officer or Chief Safety Officer who makes an order under subsection (1) shall affix at or near the scene of the operation a notice of the order in a form approved by the National Energy Board.
Marginal note:Expiration of order
(3) An order made by a safety officer under subsection (1) expires seventy-two hours after it is made unless it is confirmed before that time by order of the Chief Safety Officer.
Marginal note:Modification or revocation
(4) A safety officer who makes an order under subsection (1) shall immediately so advise the Chief Safety Officer, and the Chief Safety Officer may modify or revoke the order.
Marginal note:Referral for review by National Energy Board
(5) A person carrying out an operation to which an order under subsection (1) makes reference, or any person having a pecuniary interest in that operation, may, by notice in writing, request the Chief Safety Officer to refer the order to the National Energy Board to review the need for the order under section 28.6 of the National Energy Board Act and, on receiving the notice, the Chief Safety Officer shall refer the order accordingly.
Marginal note:Operations in respect of which order made
(6) No person shall continue an operation in respect of which an order has been made pursuant to this section, except in accordance with the terms of the order or until the order has been set aside by the National Energy Board pursuant to section 28.6 of the National Energy Board Act.
(7) to (9) [Repealed, 1994, c. 10, s. 12]
- R.S., 1985, c. O-7, s. 58
- R.S., 1985, c. 36 (2nd Supp.), s. 127
- 1992, c. 35, s. 29
- 1994, c. 10, s. 12
- Date modified: