Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
Marginal note:Power of officers
58 (1) A safety officer, the Chief Safety Officer, a conservation officer or the Chief Conservation Officer may order that an operation or activity in any area to which this Act applies cease or be continued only in accordance with the terms of the order if the officer, on reasonable grounds, is of the opinion that its continuation could result in harm to a person, damage to the environment or property or a breach of security, or is not in compliance with this Act or the regulations, and
(2) The officer who makes an order under subsection (1) shall affix at or near the scene of the operation a notice of the order in a form approved by the Canadian Energy Regulator.
Marginal note:Expiry of order
(3) An order made by a safety officer or a conservation officer under subsection (1) expires 72 hours after it is made unless it is confirmed before that time by order of the Chief Safety Officer or the Chief Conservation Officer, as the case may be.
Marginal note:Modification or revocation
(4) A safety officer or a conservation officer who makes an order under subsection (1) shall immediately so advise the Chief Safety Officer or the Chief Conservation Officer, as the case may be, and that Chief Officer may modify or revoke the order.
Marginal note:Referral for review
(5) A person carrying out an operation to which an order made under subsection (1) refers, or any person having a pecuniary interest in that operation, may, by notice in writing, request the Chief Safety Officer or the Chief Conservation Officer, as the case may be, to refer the order to the Commission of the Canadian Energy Regulator for a review of the need for the order under section 386 of the Canadian Energy Regulator Act and, on receiving the notice, that Chief Officer must refer the order accordingly.
(6) A person is prohibited from continuing an operation in respect of which an order has been made under this section, except in accordance with the terms of the order or until the order has been set aside by the Commission of the Canadian Energy Regulator under section 386 of the Canadian Energy Regulator Act.
(7) to (9) [Repealed, 1994, c. 10, s. 12]
- R.S., 1985, c. O-7, s. 58
- R.S., 1985, c. 36 (2nd Supp.), s. 127
- 1992, c. 35, s. 29
- 1994, c. 10, s. 12
- 2015, c. 21, s. 46
- 2019, c. 28, s. 139
- 2019, c. 28, s. 142
- Date modified: