Parliament of Canada Act
19.1 (1) In this section and sections 19.2 to 19.9, Committee means the Standing Senate Committee on Internal Economy, Budgets and Administration established by the Senate under its rules.
Marginal note:Intersessional authority
(2) During a period of prorogation or dissolution of Parliament and until the members of a successor Committee are appointed by the Senate, the Committee continues to exist for the purposes of this Act and, subject to subsection (3), every member of the Committee, while still a senator, remains a member of the Committee as if there had been no prorogation or dissolution.
Marginal note:Composition of Committee
(3) The Leader of the Government in the Senate, or the nominee of the Leader, and the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate, or the nominee of the Leader, may, in accordance with the rules of the Senate, change the membership of the Committee from time to time, including during periods of prorogation or dissolution.
Marginal note:Senate control
(4) In exercising its functions and powers under this Act, the Committee is subject to the rules, direction and control of the Senate.
(5) Where the Chairman of the Committee deems that there is an emergency, the Committee’s Sub-committee on Agenda and Procedure may exercise any power of the Committee under this Act.
Marginal note:Report of decision
(6) The Chairman of the Committee shall report to the Committee any decision made under subsection (5) at the meeting of the Committee immediately following the decision.
- 1991, c. 20, s. 1
- Date modified: