Parliament of Canada Act
Marginal note:Deputy head
72.04 (1) The Ethics Commissioner has the rank of a deputy head of a department of the Government of Canada and has the control and management of the office of the Ethics Commissioner.
Marginal note:Powers to contract
(2) The Ethics Commissioner may, in carrying out the work of the office of the Ethics Commissioner, enter into contracts, memoranda of understanding or other arrangements.
(3) The Ethics Commissioner may employ any officers and employees and may engage the services of any agents, advisers and consultants that the Ethics Commissioner considers necessary for the proper conduct of the work of the office of the Ethics Commissioner.
(4) The Ethics Commissioner may, subject to the conditions he or she sets, authorize any person to exercise any powers under subsection (2) or (3) on behalf of the Ethics Commissioner that he or she may determine.
(5) The salaries of the officers and employees of the office of the Ethics Commissioner shall be fixed according to the scale provided by law.
(6) The salaries of the officers and employees of the office of the Ethics Commissioner, and any casual expenses connected with the office, shall be paid out of moneys provided by Parliament for that purpose.
Marginal note:Estimates to be prepared
(7) Prior to each fiscal year, the Ethics Commissioner shall cause to be prepared an estimate of the sums that will be required to pay the charges and expenses of the office of the Ethics Commissioner during the fiscal year.
Marginal note:Inclusion in Government estimates
(8) The estimate referred to in subsection (7) shall be considered by the Speaker of the House of Commons and then transmitted to the President of the Treasury Board, who shall lay it before the House of Commons with the estimates of the government for the fiscal year.
- 2004, c. 7, s. 4
- Date modified: