Parliament of Canada Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. P-1)
- HTMLFull Document: Parliament of Canada Act (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Parliament of Canada Act [375 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Parliament of Canada Act [738 KB]
Act current to 2023-05-17 and last amended on 2022-07-26. Previous Versions
79.1 (1) The Governor in Council shall, by commission under the Great Seal, appoint a Parliamentary Budget Officer after consultation with the following persons and after approval of the appointment by resolution of the Senate and House of Commons:
(a) the Leader of the Government in the Senate or Government Representative in the Senate, the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate and the Leader or Facilitator of every other recognized party or parliamentary group in the Senate; and
(b) the leader of every recognized party in the House of Commons.
Marginal note:Experience and expertise
(1.1) The Parliamentary Budget Officer shall have demonstrated experience and expertise in federal or provincial budgeting.
(2) The Parliamentary Budget Officer holds office during good behaviour for a term of seven years but may be removed for cause by the Governor in Council on address of the Senate and House of Commons.
(3) The Parliamentary Budget Officer may be reappointed for one or more terms of up to seven years each. However, the Parliamentary Budget Officer shall serve no more than 14 years in office in total.
Marginal note:Interim appointment
(4) In the event of the absence or incapacity of the Parliamentary Budget Officer, or if that office is vacant, the Governor in Council may appoint any person to hold that office in the interim for a term not exceeding six months, and that person shall, while holding office, be paid the remuneration and expenses that may be fixed by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Remuneration and expenses
(5) The Parliamentary Budget Officer shall be paid the remuneration and expenses fixed by the Governor in Council.
- 2006, c. 9, s. 116
- 2017, c. 20, s. 128
- 2022, c. 10, s. 243
- Date modified: