Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act
Marginal note:Right of member
31 (1) Subject to subsections (1.1) to (3), if a member is aggrieved by a decision, act or omission in the administration of the affairs of the Force in respect of which no other process for redress is provided by this Act, the regulations or the Commissioner’s standing orders, the member is entitled to present the grievance in writing at each of the levels, up to and including the final level, in the grievance process provided for by this Part.
(1.1) A member is not entitled to present a grievance in respect of which an administrative procedure for redress is provided under any other Act of Parliament, other than one provided for in the Canadian Human Rights Act.
(1.2) Despite subsection (1.1), a member is not entitled to present a grievance in respect of the right to equal pay for work of equal value.
(1.3) A member is not entitled to present a grievance relating to any action taken under any instruction, direction or regulation given or made by or on behalf of the Government of Canada in the interest of the safety or security of Canada or any state allied or associated with Canada.
Marginal note:Order to be conclusive proof
(1.4) For the purposes of subsection (1.3), an order made by the Governor in Council is conclusive proof of the matters stated in the order in relation to the giving or making of an instruction, direction or regulation by or on behalf of the Government of Canada in the interest of the safety or security of Canada or any state allied or associated with Canada.
Marginal note:Limitation period
(2) A grievance under this Part must be presented
(a) at the initial level in the grievance process, within thirty days after the day on which the aggrieved member knew or reasonably ought to have known of the decision, act or omission giving rise to the grievance; and
(b) at the second and any succeeding level in the grievance process, within fourteen days after the day the aggrieved member is served with the decision of the immediately preceding level in respect of the grievance.
(3) No appointment by the Commissioner to a position prescribed pursuant to subsection (7) may be the subject of a grievance under this Part.
Marginal note:Access to information
(4) Subject to subsection (4.1) and any limitations specified under paragraph 36(b), a member presenting a grievance shall be granted access to any written or documentary information under the Force’s control and relevant to the grievance that the member reasonably requires to properly present it.
Marginal note:Access to standardized test
(4.1) A member is not entitled to have access to a standardized test used by the Force, or to information concerning such a test, if in the opinion of the Commissioner, its disclosure would affect its validity or continued use or would affect the results of such a test by giving an unfair advantage to any person.
Definition of standardized test
(4.2) In this section, standardized test has the meaning assigned by rules established by the Commissioner.
Marginal note:No penalty for presenting grievance
(5) No member shall be disciplined or otherwise penalized in relation to employment or any term of employment in the Force for exercising the right under this Part to present a grievance.
(6) As soon as feasible after the presentation and consideration of a grievance at any level in the grievance process, the person constituting the level shall render a decision in writing as to the disposition of the grievance, including reasons for the decision, and serve the member presenting the grievance and, if the grievance has been referred to the Committee under section 33, the Committee Chairperson with a copy of the decision.
Marginal note:Excluded appointments
(7) The Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing for the purposes of subsection (3) any position in the Force that reports to the Commissioner either directly or through one other person.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-10, s. 31
- R.S., 1985, c. 8 (2nd Supp.), s. 16
- 1994, c. 26, s. 63(F)
- 2013, c. 18, s. 21
- Date modified: