Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act
(2) The Committee shall serve a notice in writing of the time and place appointed for a hearing on the parties.
Marginal note:Sittings of Committee
(3) Where a party wishes to appear before the Committee, the Committee shall sit at such place in Canada and at such time as may be fixed by the Committee, having regard to the convenience of the parties.
Marginal note:Powers of Committee
(4) The Committee has, in relation to the grievance before it, the powers conferred on a board of inquiry, in relation to the matter before it, by paragraphs 24.1(3)(a), (b) and (c).
Marginal note:Rights of persons interested
(5) The parties and any other person who satisfies the Committee that the person has a substantial and direct interest in a grievance before the Committee shall be afforded a full and ample opportunity, in person or by counsel or a representative, to present evidence, to cross-examine witnesses and to make representations at the hearing.
Marginal note:Representation of witnesses
(6) The Committee shall permit any person who gives evidence at a hearing to be represented by counsel or a representative.
(7) Notwithstanding subsection (4) but subject to subsection (8), the Committee may not receive or accept any evidence or other information that would be inadmissible in a court of law by reason of any privilege under the law of evidence.
Marginal note:Witness not excused from testifying
(8) In a hearing, no witness shall be excused from answering any question relating to the grievance before the Committee when required to do so by the Committee on the ground that the answer to the question may tend to criminate the witness or subject the witness to any proceeding or penalty.
Marginal note:Answer not receivable
(9) Where the witness is a member, no answer or statement made in response to a question described in subsection (8) shall be used or receivable against the witness in any hearing under section 45.1 into an allegation of contravention of the Code of Conduct by the witness, other than a hearing into an allegation that with intent to mislead the witness gave the answer or statement knowing it to be false.
Marginal note:Hearing in private
(10) A hearing shall be held in private, except that
Marginal note:Return of documents, etc.
(11) Any document or thing produced pursuant to this section to the Committee shall, on the request of the person producing the document or thing, be released to the person within a reasonable time after completion of the Committee’s report.
(12) Where the Committee sits at a place in Canada that is not the ordinary place of residence of a member whose grievance is before the Committee or of the member’s counsel or representative, that member, counsel or representative is entitled, in the discretion of the Committee, to receive such travel and living expenses incurred by the member, counsel or representative in appearing before the Committee as may be fixed by the Treasury Board.
(13) On completion of a hearing, the Committee shall prepare and send to the parties and the Commissioner a report in writing setting out such findings and recommendations with respect to the grievance as the Committee sees fit.
Definition of parties
(14) In this section, parties means the appropriate officer and the member whose grievance has been referred to the Committee pursuant to section 33.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-10, s. 35
- R.S., 1985, c. 8 (2nd Supp.), s. 16
- Date modified: