Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act
Marginal note:Commission established
45.29 (1) There is hereby established a commission, to be known as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Public Complaints Commission, consisting of a Chairman, a Vice-Chairman, a member for each contracting province and not more than three other members, to be appointed by order of the Governor in Council.
(2) A member of the Commission for a contracting province shall be appointed after consultation with the Minister or other elected representative responsible for police affairs in that province.
Marginal note:Full- or part-time
(3) The Commission Chairman is a full-time member of the Commission and the other members may be appointed as full-time or part-time members of the Commission.
Marginal note:Tenure of office
(4) Each member of the Commission shall be appointed to hold office during good behaviour for a term not exceeding five years but may be removed for cause at any time by order of the Governor in Council.
(5) A member of the Commission is eligible for re-appointment on the expiration of the member’s term of office.
(6) No member of the Force is eligible to be appointed or to continue as a member of the Commission.
Marginal note:Alternate member
(7) The Governor in Council may, by order, appoint a person to be an alternate member for any member of the Commission, other than the Commission Chairman, and the alternate member so appointed may act as a member of the Commission in the event of the absence, incapacity or ineligibility to conduct a hearing of that member.
(8) An alternate member shall be appointed as a part-time member of the Commission and subsections (2), (4) to (6) and (10) and (11) apply, with such modifications as the circumstances require, to an alternate member as though the alternate member were a member of the Commission.
Marginal note:Salary of full-time members
(9) Each full-time member of the Commission is entitled to be paid such salary in connection with the work of the Commission as may be approved by order of the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Fees of part-time members
(10) Each part-time member of the Commission is entitled to be paid such fees in connection with the work of the Commission as may be approved by order of the Governor in Council.
(11) Each member of the Commission is entitled to be paid reasonable travel and living expenses incurred by the member while absent from the member’s ordinary place of residence in connection with the work of the Commission.
Marginal note:Benefits of full-time members
(12) The full-time members of the Commission are deemed to be employed in the Public Service for the purposes of the Public Service Superannuation Act and to be employed in the public service of Canada for the purposes of the Government Employees Compensation Act and any regulations made under section 9 of the Aeronautics Act.
Definition of contracting province
(13) In this section, contracting province means a province the government of which has entered into an arrangement with the Minister pursuant to section 20.
- R.S., 1985, c. 8 (2nd Supp.), s. 16
- Date modified: