Marginal note:Chief Statistician
4 (1) The Governor in Council shall appoint the Chief Statistician of Canada to be the deputy head of Statistics Canada.
(2) The Chief Statistician holds office for a term of not more than five years during good behaviour, but may be removed for cause by the Governor in Council.
(3) The Chief Statistician is eligible to be reappointed for an additional term of not more than five years.
Marginal note:Interim appointment
(4) In the event of the absence or incapacity of the Chief Statistician, or if that office is vacant, the Governor in Council may appoint any qualified person to hold that office in the interim for a term not exceeding six months, and that person shall, while holding office, be paid the salary or other remuneration and expenses that may be fixed by the Governor in Council.
(5) The Chief Statistician shall, in addition to any other duties imposed on him or her under any other provision of this Act,
(a) decide, based strictly on professional statistical standards that he or she considers appropriate, the methods and procedures for carrying out statistical programs regarding
(i) the collection, compilation, analysis, abstraction and publication of statistical information that is produced or is to be produced by Statistics Canada,
(ii) the content of statistical releases and publications issued by Statistics Canada, and
(iii) the timing and methods of dissemination of statistics compiled by Statistics Canada;
(b) advise on matters pertaining to statistical programs of the departments and agencies of the Government of Canada, and confer with those departments and agencies to that end; and
(c) control the operations and staff of Statistics Canada.
Marginal note:Report to Minister
(6) In each fiscal year the Chief Statistician shall make a report to the Minister on the activities of Statistics Canada in the preceding fiscal year, and that report shall be included as a separate part of the Minister’s annual report to Parliament.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-19, s. 4
- 2017, c. 31, s. 2
- Date modified: