Marginal note:Duty of registrant
156.07 (1) Shares of a bank that are registered in the name of a registrant or registrant’s nominee and that are not beneficially owned by the registrant shall not be voted unless the registrant sends to the beneficial owner
(a) a copy of the notice of the meeting, annual statement, management proxy circular, dissident’s proxy circular and any other documents, other than the form of proxy, that were sent to shareholders by or on behalf of any person for use in connection with the meeting; and
(b) a written request for voting instructions, except where the registrant has already received written voting instructions from the beneficial owner.
Marginal note:When documents to be sent
(2) The documents to be sent to the beneficial owner under subsection (1) shall be sent by the registrant without delay after the registrant receives the documents referred to in paragraph (1)(a).
Marginal note:Where registrant not to vote shares
(3) A registrant shall not vote or appoint a proxyholder to vote shares of a bank registered in the registrant’s name or in the name of the registrant’s nominee that the registrant does not beneficially own unless the registrant receives voting instructions from the beneficial owner.
(4) A person by or on behalf of whom a solicitation is made shall, at the request of a registrant, without delay provide the registrant, at the person’s expense, with the necessary number of copies of the documents referred to in paragraph (1)(a).
Marginal note:Instructions to registrant
(5) A registrant shall vote or appoint a proxyholder to vote any shares referred to in subsection (1) in accordance with any written voting instructions received from the beneficial owner.
Marginal note:Beneficial owner as proxyholder
(6) If requested by a beneficial owner, a registrant shall appoint the beneficial owner or a nominee of the beneficial owner as proxyholder.
Marginal note:Default of registrant: effect
(7) The failure of a registrant to comply with any of subsections (1) to (6) does not render void any meeting of shareholders or any action taken at the meeting.
Marginal note:Right of registrant limited
(8) Nothing in this Part gives a registrant the right to vote shares that the registrant is otherwise prohibited from voting.
- 1997, c. 15, s. 10
- Date modified: