Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
Marginal note:Persons claiming property in possession of bankrupt
81 (1) Where a person claims any property, or interest therein, in the possession of a bankrupt at the time of the bankruptcy, he shall file with the trustee a proof of claim verified by affidavit giving the grounds on which the claim is based and sufficient particulars to enable the property to be identified.
Marginal note:How claim disposed of
(2) The trustee with whom a proof of claim is filed under subsection (1) shall within fifteen days thereafter or within fifteen days after the first meeting of creditors, whichever is the later, either admit the claim and deliver possession of the property to the claimant or give notice in writing to the claimant that the claim is disputed with his reasons therefor, and, unless the claimant appeals therefrom to the court within fifteen days after the mailing of the notice of dispute, he shall be deemed to have abandoned or relinquished all his right to or interest in the property to the trustee who thereupon may sell or dispose of the property free of any lien, right, title or interest of the claimant.
Marginal note:Onus on claimant
(3) The onus of establishing a claim to or in property under this section is on the claimant.
Marginal note:Require proof of claim
(4) The trustee may give notice in writing to any person to prove his claim to or in property under this section, and, unless that person files with the trustee a proof of claim in the prescribed form within fifteen days after the mailing of the notice, the trustee may thereupon with the leave of the court sell or dispose of the property free of any lien, right, title or interest of that person.
Marginal note:No other proceeding to be instituted
(5) No proceedings shall be instituted to establish a claim to, or to recover any right or interest in, any property in the possession of a bankrupt at the time of the bankruptcy, except as provided in this section.
Marginal note:Rights of others not extended
(6) Nothing in this section shall be construed as extending the rights of any person other than the trustee.
- R.S., c. B-3, s. 59
- Date modified: