Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
Marginal note:Certain rights limited
84.2 (1) No person may terminate or amend — or claim an accelerated payment or forfeiture of the term under — any agreement, including a security agreement, with a bankrupt individual by reason only of the individual’s bankruptcy or insolvency.
(2) If the agreement referred to in subsection (1) is a lease, the lessor may not terminate or amend, or claim an accelerated payment or forfeiture of the term under, the lease by reason only of the bankruptcy or insolvency or of the fact that the bankrupt has not paid rent in respect of any period before the time of the bankruptcy.
Marginal note:Public utilities
(3) No public utility may discontinue service to a bankrupt individual by reason only of the individual’s bankruptcy or insolvency or of the fact that the bankrupt individual has not paid for services rendered or material provided before the time of the bankruptcy.
Marginal note:Certain acts not prevented
(4) Nothing in this section is to be construed as
Marginal note:Provisions of section override agreement
(5) Any provision in an agreement that has the effect of providing for, or permitting, anything that, in substance, is contrary to this section is of no force or effect.
Marginal note:Powers of court
(6) On application by a party to an agreement or by a public utility, the court may declare that this section does not apply — or applies only to the extent declared by the court — if the applicant satisfies the court that the operation of this section would likely cause the applicant significant financial hardship.
Marginal note:Eligible financial contracts
(7) Subsection (1) does not apply
Marginal note:Permitted actions
(8) Despite section 69.3, the following actions are permitted in respect of an eligible financial contract that is entered into before the time of the bankruptcy, and is terminated on or after that time, but only in accordance with the provisions of that contract:
(a) the netting or setting off or compensation of obligations between the individual bankrupt and the other parties to the eligible financial contract; and
(b) any dealing with financial collateral including
Marginal note:Net termination values
(9) If net termination values determined in accordance with an eligible financial contract referred to in subsection (8) are owed by the individual bankrupt to another party to the eligible financial contract, that other party is deemed, for the purposes of paragraphs 69(1)(a) and 69.1(1)(a), to be a creditor of the individual bankrupt with a claim provable in bankruptcy in respect of those net termination values.
- 2005, c. 47, s. 68
- 2007, c. 29, s. 98
- 2009, c. 31, s. 64
- Date modified: