Marginal note:Leave to make application under section 75 or 77
103.1 (1) Any person may apply to the Tribunal for leave to make an application under section 75 or 77. The application for leave must be accompanied by an affidavit setting out the facts in support of the person’s application under section 75 or 77.
(2) The applicant must serve a copy of the application for leave on the Commissioner and any person against whom the order under section 75 or 77 is sought.
Marginal note:Certification by Commissioner
(3) The Commissioner shall, within 48 hours after receiving a copy of an application for leave, certify to the Tribunal whether or not the matter in respect of which leave is sought
(a) is the subject of an inquiry by the Commissioner; or
(b) was the subject of an inquiry that has been discontinued because of a settlement between the Commissioner and the person against whom the order under section 75 or 77 is sought.
Marginal note:Application discontinued
(4) The Tribunal shall not consider an application for leave respecting a matter described in paragraph (3)(a) or (b) or a matter that is the subject of an application already submitted to the Tribunal by the Commissioner under section 75 or 77.
Marginal note:Notice by Tribunal
(5) The Tribunal shall as soon as practicable after receiving the Commissioner’s certification under subsection (3) notify the applicant and any person against whom the order is sought as to whether it can hear the application for leave.
(6) A person served with an application for leave may, within 15 days after receiving notice under subsection (5), make representations in writing to the Tribunal and shall serve a copy of the representations on any other person referred to in subsection (2).
Marginal note:Granting leave to make application under section 75 or 77
(7) The Tribunal may grant leave to make an application under section 75 or 77 if it has reason to believe that the applicant is directly and substantially affected in the applicants’ business by any practice referred to in one of those sections that could be subject to an order under that section.
Marginal note:Time and conditions for making application
(8) The Tribunal may set the time within which and the conditions subject to which an application under section 75 or 77 must be made. The application must be made no more than one year after the practice that is the subject of the application has ceased.
(9) The Tribunal must give written reasons for its decision to grant or refuse leave and send copies to the applicant, the Commissioner and any other person referred to in subsection (2).
(10) The Commissioner may not make an application for an order under section 75, 77 or 79 on the basis of the same or substantially the same facts as are alleged in a matter for which the Tribunal has granted leave under subsection (7), if the person granted leave has already applied to the Tribunal under section 75 or 77.
(11) In considering an application for leave, the Tribunal may not draw any inference from the fact that the Commissioner has or has not taken any action in respect of the matter raised by it.
Marginal note:Inquiry by Commissioner
(12) If the Commissioner has certified under subsection (3) that a matter in respect of which leave was sought by a person is under inquiry and the Commissioner subsequently discontinues the inquiry other than by way of settlement, the Commissioner shall, as soon as practicable, notify that person that the inquiry is discontinued.
- 2002, c. 16, s. 12
- Date modified: