Marginal note:Temporary order
74.11 (1) Where, on application by the Commissioner, a court finds a strong prima facie case that a person is engaging in reviewable conduct under this Part, the court may order the person not to engage in that conduct or substantially similar reviewable conduct if the court is satisfied that
(2) Subject to subsection (5), the order has effect, or may be extended on application by the Commissioner, for such period as the court considers necessary and sufficient to meet the circumstances of the case.
Marginal note:Notice of application by Commissioner
(3) Subject to subsection (4), at least forty-eight hours notice of an application referred to in subsection (1) or (2) shall be given by or on behalf of the Commissioner to the person in respect of whom the order or extension is sought.
Marginal note:Ex parte application
(4) The court may proceed ex parte with an application made under subsection (1) where it is satisfied that subsection (3) cannot reasonably be complied with or that the urgency of the situation is such that service of notice in accordance with subsection (3) would not be in the public interest.
Marginal note:Duration of ex parte order
(5) An order issued ex parte shall have effect for such period as is specified in it, not exceeding seven days unless, on further application made on notice as provided in subsection (3), the court extends the order for such additional period as it considers necessary and sufficient.
Marginal note:Duty of Commissioner
(6) Where an order issued under this section is in effect, the Commissioner shall proceed as expeditiously as possible to complete the inquiry under section 10 arising out of the conduct in respect of which the order was issued.
- 1999, c. 2, s. 22
- 2002, c. 16, s. 10
- Date modified: