Marginal note:Filing of proposed tariffs
83 (1) Subject to subsection (14), each collective society may file with the Board a proposed tariff for the benefit of those eligible authors, eligible performers and eligible makers who, by assignment, grant of licence, appointment of the society as their agent or otherwise, authorize it to act on their behalf for that purpose, but no person other than a collective society may file any such tariff.
Marginal note:Filing of proposed tariff
(2) A proposed tariff must be filed no later than October 15 of the second calendar year before the calendar year in which the proposed tariff is to take effect or, if a day is established under regulations made under subsection 66.91(2), no later than that day.
Marginal note:Form and content
(3) A proposed tariff must be filed in both official languages and include
(a) the proposed levy rates and any related terms and conditions; and
(b) the effective period of the proposed tariff.
It may also include a suggestion as to whom the Board should designate under paragraph (8)(b).
Marginal note:Minimum effective period
(4) A proposed tariff’s effective period must be at least three calendar years or, if a minimum period is established under regulations made under subsection 66.91(2), at least that minimum period.
(5) The Board, in the manner that it sees fit, shall publish the proposed tariff and a notice that any person or entity who files an objection must do so no later than the 30th day after the day on which the Board made the proposed tariff public or, if a day is established under regulations made under subsection 66.91(2), no later than that day.
Marginal note:Copy of objection
(6) The Board shall provide a copy of the filed objection to each collective society concerned.
(7) Each collective society concerned may file a reply to an objection with the Board.
Marginal note:Copy to objector
(7.1) The Board shall provide a copy of the filed reply to the person or entity that filed the objection.
(8) The Board shall, within the period that is established under regulations made under subsection 66.91(2),
(a) approve a proposed tariff, after making any alterations to the levy rates and the related terms and conditions, or fixing any new related terms and conditions, that the Board considers appropriate; and
(b) subject to subsection (8.2), designate as the collecting body the collective society or other society, association or corporation that, in the Board’s opinion, will best fulfil the objects of sections 82, 84 and 86.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions
(8.1) The related terms and conditions may include terms and conditions such as the form, content and frequency of the statements of account referred to in subsection 82(1), measures for the protection of confidential information contained in those statements, and the times at which the levies are payable.
(8.2) The Board is not obligated to designate a collecting body under paragraph (8)(b) if it has previously done so, and a designation under that paragraph remains in effect until the Board, under a proposed tariff or on a separate application, makes another designation.
Marginal note:Publication of approved tariffs
(9) The Board shall publish the approved tariff in the Canada Gazette and provide a copy of it, together with the reasons for the Board’s decision, to
(a) the collecting body;
(b) each collective society that filed a proposed tariff;
(c) every person or entity that filed an objection under subsection (5); and
(d) any other person or entity that, in the Board’s opinion, ought to receive the copy and reasons.
Marginal note:Continuation of rights
(10) If a proposed tariff’s effective period begins before the proposed tariff is approved and that effective period begins immediately after the expiry of the previous tariff, then — from the start of the effective period of the proposed tariff until the earlier of its approval and the end of its effective period — the collecting body may collect the levies in accordance with the previous tariff.
Marginal note:Authors, etc., not represented by collective society
(11) An eligible author, eligible performer or eligible maker who does not authorize a collective society to file a proposed tariff under subsection (1) is entitled, in relation to
(a) a musical work,
(b) a performer’s performance of a musical work, or
(c) a sound recording in which a musical work, or a performer’s performance of a musical work, is embodied,
as the case may be, to be paid by the collective society that is designated by the Board, of the Board’s own motion or on application, the remuneration referred to in section 81 if such remuneration is payable during a period when an approved tariff that is applicable to that kind of work, performer’s performance or sound recording is effective, subject to the same conditions as those to which a person who has so authorized that collective society is subject.
Marginal note:Exclusion of other remedies
(12) The entitlement referred to in subsection (11) is the only remedy of the eligible author, eligible performer or eligible maker referred to in that subsection in respect of the reproducing of sound recordings for private use.
Marginal note:Powers of Board
(13) The Board may, for the purposes of subsections (11) and (12),
(a) require a collective society to file with the Board information relating to payments of moneys received by the society pursuant to section 84 to the persons who have authorized it to file a tariff under subsection (1); and
(b) by regulation, establish the periods, which shall not be less than twelve months, beginning when the applicable approved tariff ceases to be effective, within which the entitlement referred to in subsection (11) must be exercised.
Marginal note:Single proposed tariff
(14) Where all the collective societies that intend to file a proposed tariff authorize a particular person or body to file a single proposed tariff on their behalf, that person or body may do so, and in that case this section applies, with such modifications as the circumstances require, in respect of that proposed tariff.
- 1997, c. 24, s. 50
- 2018, c. 27, s. 297
- Date modified: