Corrections and Conditional Release Act
127 (1) Subject to any provision of this Act, an offender sentenced, committed or transferred to penitentiary is entitled to be released on the date determined in accordance with this section and to remain at large until the expiration of the sentence according to law.
Marginal note:Sentence for past offences
(2) Subject to this section, the statutory release date of an offender sentenced before November 1, 1992 to imprisonment for one or more offences shall be determined by crediting against the sentence
(a) any remission, statutory or earned, standing to the offender’s credit on that day; and
(b) the maximum remission that could have been earned on the balance of the sentence pursuant to the Penitentiary Act or the Prisons and Reformatories Act, as those Acts read immediately before that day.
Marginal note:Sentence for future offences
(3) Subject to this section, the statutory release date of an offender sentenced on or after November 1, 1992 to imprisonment for one or more offences is the day on which the offender completes two thirds of the sentence.
Marginal note:Sentences for past and future offences
(4) Subject to this section, the statutory release date of an offender sentenced before November 1, 1992 to imprisonment for one or more offences and sentenced on or after November 1, 1992 to imprisonment for one or more offences is the later of the dates determined in accordance with subsections (2) and (3).
Marginal note:Where parole or statutory release revoked
(5) Subject to subsections 130(4) and (6), the statutory release date of an offender whose parole or statutory release has been revoked is the day on which the offender has served two thirds of the unexpired portion of the sentence after being recommitted to custody as a result of a suspension or a revocation under section 135.
Marginal note:Failure to earn and forfeiture of remission
(6) Where an offender receives a sentence to be served in a provincial correctional facility and fails to earn or forfeits any remission under the Prisons and Reformatories Act and is transferred to penitentiary, otherwise than pursuant to an agreement entered into under paragraph 16(1)(b), the offender is not entitled to be released until the day on which the offender has served
(a) the period of imprisonment that the offender would have been required to serve under this section if the offender had not failed to earn or had not forfeited the remission; and
(b) the period of imprisonment equal to the remission that the offender failed to earn or forfeited and that was not recredited under that Act.
Marginal note:Supervision after release
(7) An offender sentenced, committed or transferred (otherwise than pursuant to an agreement entered into under subsection 16(1)) to penitentiary on or after August 1, 1970 who is released on statutory release is subject to supervision in accordance with this Act, but no other offender released under this section is subject to supervision.
- 1992, c. 20, s. 127
- 1995, c. 42, s. 41
- 1999, c. 31, s. 66(E)
- Date modified: