Canada Business Corporations Act
Marginal note:Exception relating to Canadian ownership
32 (1) Subject to subsection 39(8), a corporation may, for the purpose of assisting the corporation or any of its affiliates or associates to qualify under any prescribed law of Canada or a province to receive licences, permits, grants, payments or other benefits by reason of attaining or maintaining a specified level of Canadian ownership or control, hold shares in itself that
(a) are not constrained for the purpose of assisting the corporation or any of its affiliates or associates to so qualify; or
(b) are shares into which shares held under paragraph (a) were converted by the corporation that are constrained for the purpose of assisting the corporation to so qualify and that were not previously held by the corporation.
Marginal note:Prohibited transfers
(2) A corporation shall not transfer shares held under subsection (1) to any person unless the corporation is satisfied, on reasonable grounds, that the ownership of the shares as a result of the transfer would assist the corporation or any of its affiliates or associates to achieve the purpose set out in subsection (1).
(3) A corporation that, without reasonable cause, fails to comply with subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars.
Marginal note:Directors of corporation
(4) Where a corporation commits an offence under subsection (3), any director of the corporation who knowingly authorized, permitted or acquiesced in the commission of the offence is a party to and guilty of the offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both, whether or not the corporation has been prosecuted or convicted.
Marginal note:Where shares are transferred
(5) Where shares held under subsection (1) are transferred by a corporation, subsections 25(1), (3), (4) and (5), paragraph 115(3)(c) and subsection 118(1) apply, with such modifications as the circumstances require, in respect of the transfer as if the transfer were an issue.
Marginal note:Transfer not void, voidable or null
(6) No transfer of shares by a corporation shall be void, voidable or, in Quebec, null solely because the transfer is in contravention of subsection (2).
- R.S., 1985, c. C-44, s. 32
- 2011, c. 21, s. 22
- Date modified: