Marginal note:Review of order
521 (1) If a justice, or a judge of the Nunavut Court of Justice, makes an order under subsection 515(1), (2), (7), (8) or (12) or makes or vacates any order under paragraph 523(2)(b), the prosecutor may, at any time before the trial of the charge, apply to a judge for a review of the order.
Marginal note:Notice to accused
(2) An application under this section shall not be heard by a judge unless the prosecutor has given to the accused at least two clear days notice in writing of the application.
Marginal note:Accused to be present
(3) If the judge so orders or the prosecutor or the accused or his counsel so requests, the accused shall be present at the hearing of an application under this section and, where the accused is in custody, the judge may order, in writing, the person having the custody of the accused to bring him before the court.
Marginal note:Adjournment of proceedings
(4) A judge may, before or at any time during the hearing of an application under this section, on application of the prosecutor or the accused, adjourn the proceedings, but if the accused is in custody no adjournment shall be for more than three clear days except with the consent of the accused.
Marginal note:Failure of accused to attend
(5) Where an accused, other than an accused who is in custody, has been ordered by a judge to be present at the hearing of an application under this section and does not attend the hearing, the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the accused.
Marginal note:Warrant for detention
(6) Where, pursuant to paragraph (8)(e), the judge makes an order that the accused be detained in custody until he is dealt with according to law, he shall, if the accused is not in custody, issue a warrant for the committal of the accused.
(7) A warrant issued under subsection (5) or (6) may be executed anywhere in Canada.
Marginal note:Evidence and powers of judge on review
(8) On the hearing of an application under this section, the judge may consider
(a) the transcript, if any, of the proceedings heard by the justice and by any judge who previously reviewed the order made by the justice,
(b) the exhibits, if any, filed in the proceedings before the justice, and
(c) such additional evidence or exhibits as may be tendered by the prosecutor or the accused,
and shall either
(d) dismiss the application, or
(e) if the prosecutor shows cause, allow the application, vacate the order previously made by the justice and make any other order provided for in section 515 that he considers to be warranted.
Marginal note:Limitation of further applications
(9) Where an application under this section or section 520 has been heard, a further or other application under this section or section 520 shall not be made with respect to the same accused, except with leave of a judge, prior to the expiration of thirty days from the date of the decision of the judge who heard the previous application.
Marginal note:Application of sections 517, 518 and 519
(10) The provisions of sections 517, 518 and 519 apply with such modifications as the circumstances require in respect of an application under this section.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 521
- R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 87
- 1994, c. 44, s. 47
- 1999, c. 3, s. 32
- Date modified: