Marginal note:Power of court to impose fine
(a) if the punishment for the offence does not include a minimum term of imprisonment, in addition to or in lieu of any other sanction that the court is authorized to impose; or
(b) if the punishment for the offence includes a minimum term of imprisonment, in addition to any other sanction that the court is required or authorized to impose.
Marginal note:Offender’s ability to pay
(2) Except when the punishment for an offence includes a minimum fine or a fine is imposed in lieu of a forfeiture order, a court may fine an offender under this section only if the court is satisfied that the offender is able to pay the fine or discharge it under section 736.
Marginal note:Meaning of default of payment
(3) For the purposes of this section and sections 734.1 to 737, a person is in default of payment of a fine if the fine has not been paid in full by the time set out in the order made under section 734.1.
Marginal note:Imprisonment in default of payment
(4) Where an offender is fined under this section, a term of imprisonment, determined in accordance with subsection (5), shall be deemed to be imposed in default of payment of the fine.
Marginal note:Determination of term
(5) The length, in days, of the term of imprisonment referred to in subsection (4) is the lesser of
(a) a fraction, rounded down to the nearest whole number, of which
(i) the numerator is the unpaid amount of the fine plus the costs and charges of committing and conveying the defaulter to prison, calculated in accordance with regulations made under subsection (7), and
(ii) the denominator is equal to eight times the provincial minimum hourly wage, at the time of default, in the province in which the fine was imposed, and
(b) the maximum term of imprisonment, expressed in days, that the court could itself impose on conviction.
Marginal note:Moneys found on offender
(6) All or any part of a fine imposed under this section may be taken out of moneys found in the possession of the offender at the time of the arrest of the offender if the court making the order, on being satisfied that ownership of or right to possession of those moneys is not disputed by claimants other than the offender, so directs.
Marginal note:Provincial regulations
(7) The lieutenant governor in council of a province may make regulations respecting the calculation of the costs and charges referred to in subparagraph (5)(a)(i) and in paragraph 734.8(1)(b).
Marginal note:Application to other law
(8) This section and sections 734.1 to 734.8 and 736 apply to a fine imposed under any Act of Parliament, except that subsections (4) and (5) do not apply if the term of imprisonment in default of payment of the fine provided for in that Act or regulation is
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 734
- R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 161
- 1995, c. 22, s. 6
- 1999, c. 5, s. 33
- 2003, c. 21, s. 19
- Date modified: