Diplomatic Service (Special) Superannuation Act
Marginal note:Election to accept pension in lieu of any other pension
9 (1) Where a Public Official who is not a contributor under the Public Service Superannuation Act and who is not a member of a special pension plan established under the Special Retirement Arrangements Act elects in writing, at any time prior to the Public Official’s retirement or resignation as a Public Official, to accept a pension authorized by this section, the Public Official is entitled, in lieu of the pension authorized by section 5, to a pension equal to two thirds of the pension to which the Public Official would, but for that election, have been entitled under section 5.
Marginal note:Pension to spouse of pensioner
(2) Where a Public Official is receiving a pension under subsection (1), his spouse is entitled to a pension equal to one-half of the pension to which that Public Official is entitled.
Marginal note:Pension to surviving spouse
(3) Where a Public Official who has made an election under subsection (1) dies while holding office as a Public Official, his surviving spouse is entitled to a pension equal to one-half of the pension to which that Public Official would have been entitled had he, immediately prior to his death, retired or resigned from his office, having become afflicted with a permanent infirmity disabling him from the due execution of his office.
Marginal note:Election irrevocable
(4) An election made under this section is irrevocable.
(5) [Repealed, 1989, c. 6, s. 14]
Marginal note:Return of contributions to surviving spouse not entitled to pension
(6) Where a Public Official who has made an election under subsection (1) dies while holding office as a Public Official and the surviving spouse is not entitled to a pension under subsection (3), there shall be paid, as a death benefit, to the surviving spouse the total amount of the contributions made by the Public Official under this Part, together with interest, if any, calculated pursuant to subsection 5(10).
- R.S., 1985, c. D-2, s. 9
- 1989, c. 6, s. 14
- 1992, c. 46, s. 89
- Date modified: