Excise Tax Act
Marginal note:Imported commercial goods
(a) a specified motor vehicle, or
and who is liable under that Act to pay duties on the vehicle or goods, or would be so liable if they were subject to duty, shall pay, in addition to the tax imposed under section 212, tax calculated at the tax rate for that participating province on the value of the vehicle or goods.
(2) Tax under subsection (1) does not apply to
(a) goods, other than a specified motor vehicle, brought into a participating province from a place outside Canada by a registrant (other than a registrant whose net tax is determined under section 225.1 or under Part IV or V of the Streamlined Accounting (GST) Regulations) for consumption, use or supply exclusively in the course of commercial activities of the registrant;
(b) a mobile home or a floating home that has been used or occupied in Canada as a place of residence for individuals; or
(c) goods included in Schedule VII.
Marginal note:Value of goods
(3) For the purposes of this section, the value of goods brought into a province is equal to
(a) in the case of a specified motor vehicle that a person is required to register under the laws of the province relating to the registration of motor vehicles, the prescribed value;
(b) in the case of prescribed property brought into a province in prescribed circumstances, the value determined in prescribed manner; and
(c) in any other case, the value of the goods determined in accordance with section 215.
Marginal note:When tax payable
(4) Tax under subsection (1) on goods brought into a participating province by a person becomes payable by that person
(a) in the case of a specified motor vehicle that the person is required to register under the laws of the province relating to the registration of motor vehicles, on the earlier of the day the person so registers the vehicle and the day on or before which the person is required to register the vehicle; and
(b) in any other case, on the day on which the goods are brought into the province.
Marginal note:Use in offshore areas
(5) Subsection (1) does not apply to goods brought into the Nova Scotia offshore area or the Newfoundland offshore area by a person unless the goods are brought into the area for consumption, use or supply in the course of an offshore activity.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 1997, c. 10, s. 204
- Date modified: