Excise Tax Act
Marginal note:Returns and payment
(a) where the person is a registrant, the person shall, on or before the day on or before which the person’s return under section 238 for the reporting period in which the tax became payable is required to be filed, pay the tax to the Receiver General and report the tax in that return; and
(b) in any other case, the person shall, on or before the last day of the month following the calendar month in which the tax became payable, pay the tax to the Receiver General and file with the Minister in prescribed manner a return in respect of the tax in prescribed form containing prescribed information.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), where tax under section 220.05, 220.06 or 220.07 is payable by a person in respect of a specified motor vehicle that the person is required to register under the laws of a participating province relating to the registration of motor vehicles,
(a) where the person is a registrant, the person is not required to report the tax in a return, and
(b) where the person is not a registrant, the person is not required to file a return in respect of the tax,
and the tax shall be paid in prescribed manner to the Receiver General at the earlier of the time the person registers the vehicle and the time at or before which the person is required to register it.
Marginal note:Deduction for prescribed amount
(3) Where tax under this Division becomes payable by a person and all or any portion of that tax is an amount that is prescribed for the purpose of subsection 234(3), that amount shall be deducted from the tax payable in determining the amount required under subsection (1) to be paid.
Marginal note:No return required
(4) Where the amount that a person is required to pay to the Receiver General under subsection (1) is nil, the person is not required to file a return under this Division.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 1997, c. 10, s. 204
- Date modified: