Canada Elections Act
Marginal note:Registration in person
(a) provides as proof of his or her identity and residence the piece or pieces of identification referred to in paragraph 143(2)(a) or (b), respectively, the piece or one of those pieces containing an address that proves his or her residence; or
(b) proves his or her identity by providing two pieces of identification of a type authorized under subsection 143(2.1) that establish the elector’s name, proves his or her residence by taking an oath in writing in the prescribed form — the form including the statement that he or she has received the oral advice set out in subsection 161.1(1) — and is accompanied by another elector whose name appears on the list of electors for the same polling division who
(i) proves their own identity and residence by providing the piece or pieces of identification referred to in paragraph 143(2)(a) or (b), respectively, the piece or one of those pieces containing either an address that proves that other elector’s residence or an address that is consistent with information related to that other elector that appears on the list of electors, and
(ii) attests to the elector’s residence on oath in writing in the prescribed form, the form including the statements that
(A) they have received the oral advice set out in subsection 161.1(2),
(B) they know the elector personally,
(C) they know that the elector resides in the polling division,
(D) they have not attested to the residence of another elector at the election, and
(E) their own residence has not been attested to by another elector at the election.
Marginal note:Place of registration
(2) Where subsection (1) applies, the registration may take place before
Marginal note:Representative of each candidate
(3) In the case of a registration under paragraph (2)(a), the registration officer shall permit one representative of each candidate in the electoral district to be present.
Marginal note:Examination of identification documents
(3.1) The representative of a candidate may examine but not handle any piece of identification provided by the elector.
Marginal note:Registration certificate
(4) If the elector satisfies the requirements of subsection (1), the registration officer or deputy returning officer, as the case may be, shall complete a registration certificate in the prescribed form authorizing the elector to vote and the elector shall sign it. The registration certificate shall include a statement by the elector that he or she is qualified as an elector under section 3.
Marginal note:List deemed to be modified
(5) When a registration certificate is given under subsection (4), the list of electors is deemed, for the purposes of this Act, to have been modified in accordance with the certificate.
Marginal note:Prohibition — registration on polling day
(5.1) It is prohibited for any person to
(a) knowingly apply to be registered on polling day in a name that is not their own;
(b) knowingly apply, except as authorized by this Act, to be registered on polling day to vote in a polling division in which they are not ordinarily resident;
(c) apply to be registered on polling day to vote in an electoral district knowing that they are not qualified as an elector or entitled to vote in the electoral district; or
(d) compel, induce or attempt to compel or induce any other person to make a false or misleading statement relating to that other person’s qualification as an elector for the purposes of the registration of that other person on polling day.
Marginal note:Prohibition — attesting to residence of more than one elector
(6) No elector shall attest to the residence of more than one elector at an election.
Marginal note:Prohibition — attesting to residence (own residence attested to)
(7) No elector whose own residence has been attested to at an election shall attest to another elector’s residence at that election.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 161
- 2007, c. 21, s. 26, c. 37, s. 2
- 2014, c. 12, s. 50
- Date modified: