Employment Insurance Act
Marginal note:Benefit periods beginning before this section comes into force
159 (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, all matters relating to a claim for benefits during a benefit period beginning before the Unemployment Insurance Act (the “former Act”) is repealed shall be dealt with under that Act, including any amendments that may be made by Bill C-31, introduced in the second session of the 35th Parliament and entitled An Act to implement certain provisions of the budget tabled in Parliament on March 6, 1996.
Marginal note:Appeals - written reasons not required
(1.01) Subsection 70(2) of the former Act applies in respect of appeals under that Act except that the Tax Court of Canada need not give reasons in writing for its decision but may give reasons in writing where, in a particular case, the Court deems it advisable.
Marginal note:Deductions for undeclared earnings
(1.1) Subsection 19(3) of this Act applies to claimants who fail to declare all or some of their earnings in a period determined under the regulations beginning on or after January 5, 1997, but the Commission may make deductions under subparagraph 19(3)(a)(i) on or after that date in respect of any failure to declare earnings for such a period beginning after June 30, 1996.
Marginal note:Deductions under subsection 19(4)
(1.2) Subsection 19(4) of this Act applies to claimants who begin attending a course or program after the former Act is repealed.
Marginal note:Parental benefits
(2) Section 23 of this Act applies in place of section 20 of the former Act to claimants claiming benefits for the care of children born or placed for adoption after that Act is repealed.
Marginal note:Job creation projects
(3) Section 25 of the former Act applies only to claimants employed on job creation projects under that section when that Act is repealed.
(4) Section 26 of the former Act applies only to claimants in a course or program to which they are referred under that section before that Act is repealed.
(5) [Repealed, 2010, c. 12, s. 2191]
Marginal note:Disentitlement and disqualification
(6) Sections 27 to 33 of this Act apply in place of sections 27 to 28.3 of the former Act in respect of events occurring after that Act is repealed that give rise to a disentitlement or disqualification under those sections and, for the purpose of applying those sections, a reference in the former Act to
(a) section 27 shall be read as a reference to section 27 of this Act;
(b) section 28 shall be read as a reference to section 29 of this Act;
(c) section 28.1 shall be read as a reference to section 31 of this Act;
(d) section 28.2 shall be read as a reference to section 32 of this Act; and
(e) section 28.3 shall be read as a reference to section 33 of this Act.
Marginal note:Application of section 145
(7) Section 145 of this Act applies in place of section 123 of the former Act in respect of benefits paid after December 31, 1995.
- 1996, c. 23, s. 159
- 1998, c. 19, s. 274
- 1999, c. 31, s. 82(F)
- 2010, c. 12, s. 2191
- Date modified: