Employment Insurance Act (S.C. 1996, c. 23)
- HTMLFull Document: Employment Insurance Act (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Employment Insurance Act [1112 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Employment Insurance Act [1816 KB]
Act current to 2023-05-17 and last amended on 2022-12-18. Previous Versions
Marginal note:Earnings in waiting period
19 (1) If a claimant has earnings during their waiting period, an amount not exceeding those earnings shall, as prescribed, be deducted from the benefits payable for the first three weeks for which benefits are otherwise payable.
Marginal note:Earnings in periods of unemployment
(2) Subject to subsections (3), (4), 21(3) and 22(5), if the claimant has earnings during any other week of unemployment, there shall be deducted from benefits payable in that week the amount equal to the total of
(a) 50% of the earnings that are less than or equivalent to 90% of the claimant’s weekly insurable earnings, and
(b) 100% of the earnings that are greater than 90% of the claimant’s weekly insurable earnings.
Marginal note:Undeclared earnings
(3) If the claimant has failed to declare all or some of their earnings to the Commission for a period, determined under the regulations, for which benefits were claimed,
(a) the following amount shall be deducted from the benefits paid to the claimant for that period:
(i) the amount of the undeclared earnings, if, in the opinion of the Commission, the claimant knowingly failed to declare the earnings, or
(ii) in any other case, the amount of the undeclared earnings less the difference between
(A) all amounts determined under paragraph (2)(a) or (b) for the period,
(B) all amounts that were applied under those paragraphs in respect of the declared earnings for the period; and
(b) the deduction shall be made
(i) from the benefits paid for a number of weeks that begins with the first week for which the earnings were not declared in that period, and
(ii) in such a manner that the amount deducted in each consecutive week equals the claimant’s benefits paid for that week.
Marginal note:Earnings and allowances from employment support measures, courses and programs
(4) Earnings from employment under an employment support measure other than one referred to in paragraph 59(c) or (d) and earnings or allowances payable to a claimant for attending a course or program of instruction or training shall not be deducted under this section except in accordance with the regulations.
- 1996, c. 23, s. 19
- 2018, c. 12, s. 285
- 2022, c. 10, s. 390
- Date modified: