Insurance Companies Act
Marginal note:Notice of meeting
767 (1) Notice of the time and place of a meeting of shareholders of a company shall be sent not less than twenty-one days or more than fifty days before the meeting to
(a) each shareholder entitled to vote at the meeting;
(b) each director; and
(c) the auditor of the insurance holding company.
Marginal note:Number of eligible votes
(2) An insurance holding company in respect of which subsection 927(4) applies shall set out in the notice of a meeting the number of eligible votes, as defined under subsection 793(1), that may be cast at the meeting as of the record date for determining the shareholders entitled to receive the notice of meeting, or, if there are to be separate votes of shareholders at the meeting, the number of eligible votes, as defined in that subsection, in respect of each separate vote to be held at the meeting.
Marginal note:Waiver of notice
(3) An insurance holding company is not required under subsection (1) to send to a person notice of a meeting if the person waives notice of the meeting. That waiver may be in any manner.
Marginal note:Attendance constitutes waiver
(4) A person who attends a meeting of shareholders is deemed to have waived notice of the meeting, except where the person attends the meeting for the express purpose of objecting to the transaction of any business on the grounds that the meeting is not lawfully called.
Marginal note:Publication in newspaper
(5) In addition to the notice required under subsection (1), where any class of shares of an insurance holding company is publicly traded on a recognized stock exchange in Canada, notice of the time and place of the meeting of shareholders shall be published once a week for at least four consecutive weeks before the date of the meeting in a newspaper in the place where the head office of the insurance holding company is situated and in each place in Canada where the insurance holding company has a transfer agent or where a transfer of the insurance holding company’s shares may be recorded.
Marginal note:When notice not required
(6) A notice of a meeting of shareholders is not required to be sent to shareholders who are not registered on the records of the insurance holding company or its transfer agent on the record date fixed or determined under subsection 766(2) or (4).
Marginal note:Effect of default
(7) Failure to receive a notice of a meeting of shareholders does not deprive a shareholder of the right to vote at the meeting.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465
- Date modified: