Income Tax Act
Marginal note:Tax payable on prohibited or non-qualified investment
Marginal note:Amount of tax payable
(2) The amount of tax payable in respect of each property described in subsection (1) is 50% of the fair market value of the property at the time referred to in that subsection.
Marginal note:Both prohibited and non-qualified investment
(3) For the purposes of this section and subsections 146(10.1), 146.2(6) and 146.3(9), if a trust governed by a registered plan holds property at any time that is, for the trust, both a prohibited investment and a non-qualified investment, the property is deemed at that time not to be a non-qualified investment, but remains a prohibited investment, for the trust.
Marginal note:Refund of tax on disposition of investment
(4) If in a calendar year a trust governed by a registered plan disposes of a property in respect of which a tax is imposed under subsection (1) on the controlling individual of the registered plan, the controlling individual is entitled to a refund for the year of an amount equal to
(a) except where paragraph (b) applies, the amount of the tax so imposed; or
(i) if it is reasonable to consider that the controlling individual knew, or ought to have known, at the time the property was acquired by the trust, that it was, or would become, a property described in subsection (1), or
(ii) if the property is not disposed of by the trust before the end of the calendar year following the calendar year in which the tax arose, or any later time that the Minister considers reasonable in the circumstances.
Marginal note:Deemed disposition and reacquisition
(5) For the purposes of this Act, if property held by a trust in respect of which a tax was imposed under subsection (1) ceases, at any particular time after the tax is imposed, to be a prohibited investment, or a non-qualified investment, for the trust, the trust is deemed to have disposed of the property immediately before the particular time for proceeds of disposition equal to its fair market value at the particular time and to have reacquired it immediately after the particular time at a cost equal to that fair market value.
(6) and (7) [Repealed, 2010, c. 25, s. 58]
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 2008, c. 28, s. 31
- 2009, c. 2, s. 70
- 2010, c. 25, s. 58
- 2011, c. 24, s. 65
- Date modified: