Income Tax Act
Marginal note:Tax payable on prohibited or non-qualified investment
207.04 (1) The controlling individual of a registered plan that governs a trust shall pay a tax under this Part for a calendar year if, at any time in the year, the trust acquires property that is a prohibited investment, or a non-qualified investment, for the trust.
Marginal note:Amount of tax payable
(2) The amount of tax payable in respect of each property described in subsection (1) is 50% of the fair market value of the property at the time referred to in that subsection.
Marginal note:Both prohibited and non-qualified investment
(3) For the purposes of this section and subsections 146(10.1), 146.1(5), 146.2(6), 146.3(9), 146.4(5) and 207.01(6), if a trust governed by a registered plan holds property at any time that is, for the trust, both a prohibited investment and a non-qualified investment, the property is deemed at that time not to be a non-qualified investment, but remains a prohibited investment, for the trust.
Marginal note:Refund of tax on disposition of investment
(4) If in a calendar year a trust governed by a registered plan disposes of a property in respect of which a tax is imposed under subsection (1) on the controlling individual of the registered plan, the controlling individual is entitled to a refund for the year of an amount equal to
(a) except where paragraph (b) applies, the amount of the tax so imposed; or
(i) if it is reasonable to consider that the controlling individual knew, or ought to have known, at the time the property was acquired by the trust, that it was, or would become, a property described in subsection (1), or
(ii) if the property is not disposed of by the trust before the end of the calendar year following the calendar year in which the tax arose, or any later time that the Minister considers reasonable in the circumstances.
Marginal note:Apportionment of refund
(5) If more than one person is entitled to a refund under subsection (4) for a calendar year in respect of the disposition of a property, the total of all amounts so refundable shall not exceed the amount that would be so refundable for the year to any one of those persons in respect of that disposition if that person were the only person entitled to a refund for the year under that subsection in respect of the disposition. If the persons cannot agree as to what portion of the refund each can so claim, the Minister may fix the portions.
Marginal note:Liability for tax
(6) Each person who is a holder of a RDSP or a subscriber of a RESP at the time that a tax is imposed under subsection (1) in connection with the plan is jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable to pay the tax.
(7) [Repealed, 2010, c. 25, s. 58]
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 2008, c. 28, s. 31
- 2009, c. 2, s. 70
- 2010, c. 25, s. 58
- 2011, c. 24, s. 65
- 2013, c. 40, s. 75
- 2017, c. 33, s. 69
- Date modified: