Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Canada Labour Code

Version of section 251.04 from 2021-01-01 to 2024-05-28:

Marginal note:Settlement of amounts due

  •  (1) If an employer and an employee who has made a complaint relating to the non-payment of wages or other amounts to which they are entitled under this Part reach a settlement in writing on the wages or other amounts to be paid, the employer may pay those amounts to the employee or to the Head.

  • Marginal note:If amount paid to Head

    (2) If an employer pays the amounts to the Head, the Head must, without delay after receiving them, pay them over to the employee who is entitled to the amounts.

  • Marginal note:Minister’s consent required for prosecution

    (3) No prosecution for failure to pay an employee the wages or other amounts that were the subject of the complaint may be instituted against an employer, without the written consent of the Minister, if the employer has paid the amounts referred to in subsection (1) to the employee or the Head.

  • 2012, c. 31, s. 223
  • 2018, c. 27, s. 593

Date modified: