Members of Parliament Retiring Allowances Act
59.1 (1) In this section,
employment means the position of an individual in the service of some other person, including Her Majesty, that entitles the individual to fixed or ascertainable salary, fees or other compensation; (emploi)
federal position means
(a) an office or employment the salary, fees or other compensation for which is paid in whole or in part out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund or out of monies appropriated by Parliament, and
(b) an office or employment in a departmental corporation or Crown corporation as defined respectively in sections 2 and 83 of the Financial Administration Act; (emploi fédéral)
federal service contract
marché fédéral de services
federal service contract means a contract for the provision of service the consideration for the performance of which is paid in whole or in part out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund or out of monies appropriated by Parliament or by a departmental corporation or Crown corporation as defined respectively in sections 2 and 83 of the Financial Administration Act, but does not include an agreement under which an individual is engaged as an employee; (marché fédéral de services)
office means the position of an individual that entitles the individual to fixed or ascertainable salary, fees or other compensation, and includes a judicial or diplomatic office and the position of corporation director; (charge)
(a) in respect of a federal position, the salary, fees or other compensation paid for or in respect of the carrying out of the duties and functions of the position, and
(b) in respect of a federal service contract, the consideration paid for the performance of the contract. (rémunération)
(2) For the purposes of this section, where a former member controls a partnership, corporation, association or other body that enters into a federal service contract,
(a) the former member is deemed to have entered into the contract at the time the body did so and to be a party to the contract so long as the body is a party and the former member continues to control it; and
(b) the remuneration in respect of the contract is deemed to equal the amount of the salary, fees or other compensation paid to the former member for or in respect of the services provided by the former member under the contract.
(3) Every former member who, after the coming into force of this section, commences to hold a federal position or enters into a federal service contract and who is receiving or commences to receive an allowance or other benefit under Part I, II, III or IV, other than a withdrawal allowance or an allowance or benefit under paragraph 20(1)(a), subsection 23(4), paragraph 40(1)(a) or subsection 43(4) or 49(1), shall
(a) within sixty days after the later of the day on which the former member commenced to hold the position or entered into the contract and the day on which the former member commenced to receive the allowance or other benefit, notify the Minister in writing of the position or contract and the amount of the remuneration;
(b) within sixty days after each anniversary of the later day referred to in paragraph (a) and while holding the position or being a party to the contract, notify the Minister in writing of the total amount of the remuneration received in the preceding year; and
(c) within sixty days after ceasing to hold the position or to be a party to the contract or the contract is completed or otherwise terminated, notify the Minister in writing of the cessation or termination and the total amount of the remuneration received that was not previously reported under this section.
Marginal note:Additional information
(4) A former member referred to in subsection (3) shall furnish the Minister in writing with such additional information respecting the federal position or federal service contract as the Minister may require.
(5) Where a former member referred to in subsection (3) receives remuneration of $5,000 or more in any year beginning on the day on which the former member commenced holding the federal position or entered into the federal service contract, or on any anniversary of that day, the aggregate of the allowances or other benefits referred to in that subsection payable to that former member in that year shall be reduced by one dollar for each dollar of the remuneration received in that year.
(6) The amount of the reduction under subsection (5) may be recovered in accordance with the regulations from any allowance or other benefit payable to or in respect of the former member under this Act or otherwise, without prejudice to any other recourse available to Her Majesty with respect to the recovery of the amount.
Marginal note:Reductions ignored for certain purposes
(7) The amount of an allowance or other benefit payable under section 20, 23, 40, 43, 49 or 51 to or in respect of a former member to whom this section applies or applied shall be determined as if no reduction were made under this section to the allowances or other benefits payable to the former member.
- 1995, c. 30, s. 20
- Date modified: