National Defence Act
Marginal note:Application for exemption order
227.1 (1) A person who is not subject to an order under section 227.01 of this Act or section 490.012 of the Criminal Code may apply for an order exempting them from the obligation within one year after they are served with a notice under section 227.08.
(2) The application shall be made to the Chief Military Judge if the applicant is subject to the Code of Service Discipline or is an officer, or non-commissioned member, of the primary reserve at the time. In any other case, the application shall be made to a court under section 490.023 of the Criminal Code.
Marginal note:Court martial
(3) On receipt of the application, the Chief Military Judge shall cause the Court Martial Administrator to convene a Standing Court Martial to try the issue.
Marginal note:Exemption order
(4) The court martial shall make an exemption order if it is satisfied that the person has established that the impact of the obligation on them, including on their privacy or liberty, would be grossly disproportionate to the public interest in protecting society through the effective investigation of crimes of a sexual nature, to be achieved by the registration of information relating to sex offenders under the Sex Offender Information Registration Act.
Marginal note:Reasons for decision
(5) The court martial shall give reasons for the decision.
Marginal note:Removal of information from database
(6) If the court martial makes an exemption order, it shall also make an order requiring the permanent removal from the database of all information that relates to the person.
- 2007, c. 5, s. 4
- 2008, c. 29, s. 21
- Date modified: