National Defence Act
Marginal note:Public interest
250.38 (1) If at any time the Chairperson considers it advisable in the public interest, the Chairperson may cause the Complaints Commission to conduct an investigation and, if warranted, to hold a hearing into a conduct complaint or an interference complaint.
Marginal note:Withdrawn complaint
(2) The Chairperson may cause an investigation to be held in respect of a complaint even if it has been withdrawn.
(3) If the Chairperson decides to cause an investigation to be held, the Chairperson shall send a notice in writing of the decision and the reasons for the decision to the complainant, the person who is the subject of the complaint, the Minister, the Chief of the Defence Staff or the Deputy Minister, as the case may be, the Judge Advocate General and the Provost Marshal.
(4) No notice shall be sent to the person who is the subject of the complaint if, in the Chairperson’s opinion, sending the notice might adversely affect or hinder any investigation under this Act.
Marginal note:Duties suspended
(5) If the Chairperson acts in respect of a conduct complaint under subsection (1), the Provost Marshal is not required to investigate, report on or otherwise deal with the complaint until the Provost Marshal receives a report under section 250.53 with respect to the complaint.
- 1998, c. 35, s. 82
- 2013, c. 24, ss. 90(F), 107(F), 108(F)
- Date modified: