Parliament of Canada Act
Marginal note:Board established
50 (1) There shall be a Board of Internal Economy of the House of Commons, in this section and sections 51 to 53 referred to as “the Board”, over which the Speaker of the House of Commons shall preside.
Marginal note:Composition of Board
(2) The Board shall consist of the Speaker, two members of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada appointed from time to time by the Governor in Council, the Leader of the Opposition or the nominee of the Leader of the Opposition and other members of the House of Commons who may be appointed from time to time as follows:
(a) if there is only one party in opposition to the government that has a recognized membership of twelve or more persons in the House of Commons, the caucus of that party may appoint two members of the Board and the caucus of the government party may appoint one member of the Board; and
(b) if there are two or more parties in opposition to the government each of which has a recognized membership of twelve or more persons in the House of Commons,
(3) [Repealed, 1997, c. 32, s. 1]
Marginal note:Speaker to inform of appointments
(4) The Speaker shall inform the House of Commons of any appointment made to the Board, on any of the first fifteen days on which the House is sitting after the appointment is made.
Marginal note:Oath or affirmation
(5) Every member of the Board shall, as soon as practicable after becoming a member of the Board, take before the Clerk of the House of Commons an oath or affirmation of fidelity and secrecy in the form set out in Form 3 of the schedule.
(6) For greater certainty, the oath or affirmation referred to in subsection (5) only relates to matters of security, employment and staff relations, tenders and investigations in relation to a member of the House of Commons and nothing in subsection (5) shall be construed as preventing the communication of any information relating to other matters to a party caucus.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-1, s. 50
- R.S., 1985, c. 42 (1st Supp.), s. 2
- 1991, c. 20, s. 2
- 1997, c. 32, s. 1
- Date modified: