Textile Labelling and Advertising Regulations
12 (1) A dealer who resides in Canada may apply to the Minister for an identification number for use on the label of a consumer textile article in place of the dealer’s name and postal address where the dealer
(2) An application for an identification number shall
(a) be in writing;
(b) set out
(i) the name under which the dealer carries on business in Canada,
(ii) the name of an official, employed by the dealer and residing in Canada, who is authorized by the dealer to make the application,
(iii) the address and telephone number of the dealer’s place of business in Canada, or of the dealer’s head office where that office is in Canada, and
(iv) the dealer’s postal address in Canada, where the address set out under subparagraph (iii) is not appropriate for postal delivery; and
(c) be accompanied by a fee of $100.
(3) The Minister shall assign an identification number to a dealer where the dealer meets the requirements set out in subsections (1) and (2).
(4) A dealer to whom an identification number has been assigned or transferred in accordance with paragraph (5)(a) is entitled to use the identification number on the label of a consumer textile article in place of the dealer’s name and postal address until
(5) A dealer who is entitled to use an identification number shall immediately give written notice to the Minister if the dealer
(6) The Minister shall revoke a dealer’s identification number on receiving from the dealer
(a) a notice under paragraph (5)(a), where the dealer to whom the business is transferred does not meet any of the requirements set out in subsection (1);
(b) a notice under paragraph (5)(b), where the dealer, as a result of the change of name or address, no longer meets any of the requirements set out in subsection (1); or
(c) a notice from the dealer under paragraph (5)(c).
(7) The Minister may revoke a dealer’s identification number if the Minister believes on reasonable grounds that the dealer
(a) failed to give notice in accordance with subsection (5);
(b) used the identification number in a false or misleading manner; or
(c) on receiving an inquiry or complaint from any person, refused to admit or denied ownership of the identification number, where that number was applied on the label of a consumer textile article by or on behalf of that dealer.
(8) Where the Minister revokes a dealer’s identification number pursuant to subsection (6) or (7), the Minister shall immediately send to the dealer by registered mail a written notice of the revocation.
(9) The revocation of an identification number takes effect 10 days after the day on which the notice of revocation is sent by the Minister.
- SOR/86-643, s. 1
- SOR/87-247, s. 4
- SOR/96-92, s. 2
- Date modified: