Weights and Measures Regulations
(2) The tare function control mechanism of an electronic machine shall be identified with the word “TARE”, the letters “TR”, or with words or letters that convey the same meaning.
(3) An electronic machine may be equipped with full-scale tare; however, the gross weight shall not exceed the rated capacity of the machine in accordance with the limits set out in section 170.
(4) The value of the minimum increment of tare of an electronic machine shall be the same as the value of the minimum increment of registration.
(5) The use of any mechanism to convert units of measurement (for example, a pound/kg switch) shall be inhibited when the tare is entered into the memory of an electronic machine, unless the mechanism converts all values of weight registration when activated.
(6) The tare function of an electronic computing machine shall be self-cancelling so that when any net weight is added to the tare, the total is computed, and when the gross weight is removed from the machine, the weight indication returns to zero in accordance with section 183, unless the machine is in prepackaging mode.
(7) A tare entry shall be automatically erased from an electronic computing machine’s memory only after the completion of the weighing operation. The entry of another price per unit of weight, the use of a “clear” mechanism or any other keying sequence shall not affect the tare entry.
(8) An electronic computing machine with a tare function shall be equipped with a power failure interlock mechanism that prevents the continuation of the weighing operation when there is a temporary loss of power. When there is a loss of power to an electronic computing machine, all visual indications of the tare function shall extinguish and remain extinguished even when power is restored.
(9) A negative weight value shall continue to be displayed on an electronic computing machine when the load-receiving element is empty and the tare function is in operation.
(10) There shall be a visual indication on or adjacent to the weight display of an electronic computing machine when the tare function is in operation.
(11) If an electronic machine, other than an electronic computing machine, displays only one weight value at a time, there shall be visual indication on or adjacent to the weight display that indicates that the tare function is in operation.
(12) If an electronic machine, other than an electronic computing machine, is capable of registering gross, net or tare weight, the weight values shall be clearly identified.
- SOR/2012-28, s. 5
- Date modified: