Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Version of section 188 from 2006-03-22 to 2014-05-31:

Marginal note:No permit required

  •  (1) A foreign national may study in Canada without a study permit

    • (a) if they are a family member or a member of the private staff of a foreign representative who is properly accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade and who is in Canada to carry out official duties as a diplomatic agent, consular officer, representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies or of any international organization of which Canada is a member;

    • (b) as a member of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act, including a person who has been designated as a civilian component of those armed forces; or

    • (c) if the duration of their course or program of studies is six months or less and will be completed within the period for their stay authorized upon entry into Canada.

  • Marginal note:Exception

    (2) Despite paragraph (1)(c), a foreign national may apply for a study permit before entering Canada for a course or program of studies of a duration of six months or less.

  • SOR/2004-167, s. 52(F)

Date modified: