Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227)
- HTMLFull Document: Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations [1433 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations [2495 KB]
Regulations are current to 2023-03-06 and last amended on 2022-11-16. Previous Versions
Marginal note:Study permits
216 (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), an officer shall issue a study permit to a foreign national if, following an examination, it is established that the foreign national
(a) applied for it in accordance with this Part;
(b) will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay under Division 2 of Part 9;
(c) meets the requirements of this Part;
(d) meets the requirements of subsections 30(2) and (3), if they must submit to a medical examination under paragraph 16(2)(b) of the Act; and
(e) has been accepted to undertake a program of study at a designated learning institution.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to persons described in section 206 and paragraphs 207(c) and (d).
Marginal note:Study in Quebec
(3) An officer shall not issue a study permit to a foreign national who intends to study in the Province of Quebec — other than under a federal assistance program for developing countries — and does not hold a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec, if the laws of that Province require that the foreign national hold a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec.
- SOR/2004-167, s. 59
- SOR/2012-154, s. 11
- SOR/2014-14, s. 12
- Date modified: