Traffic on the Land Side of Airports Regulations
P.C. 2006-401 2006-05-18
Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, pursuant to section 2Footnote a of the Government Property Traffic Act and section 4.9Footnote b of the Aeronautics Act, hereby makes the annexed Traffic on the Land Side of Airports Regulations.
1 The following definitions apply in these Regulations.
airport means an aerodrome in respect of which an airport certificate issued under section 302.03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations is in force. (aéroport)
- airport operator
airport operator means
(a) in the case of an airport set out in Schedule 1, the Minister; and
(b) in the case of an airport set out in Schedule 2, the person or organization that has been issued an airport certificate under section 302.03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations in respect of the airport. (exploitant de l’aéroport)
- land side
land side, in respect of an airport, means an area that is on airport property, that is not intended to be used for activities related to aircraft operations and to which the non-travelling public has access. (côté ville)
Minister means the Minister of Transport. (ministre)
- parking area
parking area means any area on airport property designated by a sign as an area for parking vehicles. (aire de stationnement)
road means a highway, street or work designed and intended for or used for the circulation of vehicles, excluding a parking area and a sidewalk. (route)
sign means a sign, device or pavement marking communicating instructions that is erected or placed under the authority of the airport operator. (panneau de signalisation)
(a) an automobile, over-snow vehicle, truck, commercial passenger vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle or device and includes an air cushion vehicle as defined in section 2 of the Air Cushion Vehicle Regulations but does not include a wheelchair or other similar device or an aircraft; and
(b) a bicycle or any cycle, regardless of the number of wheels it may have. (véhicule)
2 These Regulations apply in respect of the land side of an airport set out in Schedule 1 or 2.
3 The parking fine category applicable at an airport set out in column 1 of an item of Schedule 2 is the category set out in column 3 of the item.
PART 1Operation of Vehicles — Vehicle Traffic and Parking
(b) regulating or prohibiting
(2) An enforcement officer authorized under section 21 may, for the purpose of ensuring the safety of persons and goods and the efficient operation of the airport, give instructions for directing or controlling traffic.
- SOR/2009-123, s. 1
5 No person shall operate a vehicle at a rate of speed greater than
(a) the speed specified by the airport operator on a sign; or
(b) if no speed is specified by the airport operator, 50 km/h.
6 No person shall operate a vehicle unless
(a) the person holds all licences, permits and certificates required by the laws of the province and the municipality in which the airport is located for the operation of the vehicle in that province and municipality; and
(b) the vehicle is registered and equipped as required by the laws of the province and the municipality in which the airport is located.
(2) An airport operator may authorize a person to operate a vehicle elsewhere than on a road or in a parking area, subject to any conditions that are necessary to ensure the safety of persons and goods and the efficient operation of the airport.
(2) In case of conflict between the instructions referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b), the operator of a vehicle shall obey the instructions given by an enforcement officer.
(3) Subject to these Regulations, the operator of a vehicle shall, in respect of the operation of the vehicle, obey the laws of the province and the municipality in which the airport is located.
(2) No person shall park or stop a vehicle in a manner that obstructs traffic.
(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), an airport operator may authorize a person to park or stop a vehicle in a place where there is no sign authorizing the parking or stopping of vehicles, subject to any conditions that are necessary to ensure the safety of persons and goods and the efficient operation of the airport.
(4) An airport operator may move and store in a suitable place a vehicle that has been parked or stopped in contravention of this Part or of a notice prohibiting that vehicle from entering or parking on airport property.
- SOR/2009-123, s. 2
10 (1) An airport operator may issue or authorize the issuance of a permit in respect of the parking of a vehicle in a specified parking area and may, in respect of the permit, specify a period of validity and any conditions necessary for the safety of persons and goods and the efficient operation of the airport.
(2) An airport operator may revoke a permit if the permit holder fails to comply with a condition of the permit.
11 No person shall park a vehicle in a parking area reserved for permit holders unless the person holds a permit authorizing them to park in that area and they park the vehicle in accordance with the conditions of the permit.
(2) No person shall park a vehicle in a parking area
(3) No person shall park a vehicle in a parking area reserved
(a) subject to paragraph (b), for a certain person or a specified class of person or vehicle unless the person is the person or a person of the specified class or is operating a vehicle of the specified class; or
(b) for persons with disabilities unless the vehicle is identified by a sign issued by a government agency responsible for such signs as a vehicle used for the transport of a person with a disability and a person with a disability is using the vehicle at the time.
- Date modified: