Registered Products Regulations
P.C. 2011-509 2011-03-25
His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Finance, pursuant to sections 448.3Footnote a, 459.4Footnote b, 566.1Footnote c, 576.2Footnote d and 978Footnote e of the Bank ActFootnote f, sections 385.131Footnote g, 385.28Footnote h and 463Footnote i of the Cooperative Credit Associations ActFootnote j and sections 434.1Footnote k, 444.3Footnote l and 531Footnote m of the Trust and Loan Companies ActFootnote n, hereby makes the annexed Registered Products Regulations.
Return to footnote aS.C. 2007, c. 6, s. 31
Return to footnote bS.C. 2007, c. 6, s. 37
Return to footnote cS.C. 2007, c. 6, s. 89
Return to footnote dS.C. 2007, c. 6, s. 93
Return to footnote eS.C. 2005, c. 54, s. 135
Return to footnote fS.C. 1991, c. 46
Return to footnote gS.C. 2007, c. 6, s. 165
Return to footnote hS.C. 2007, c. 6, s. 170
Return to footnote iS.C. 2005, c. 54, s. 208
Return to footnote jS.C. 1991, c. 48
Return to footnote kS.C. 2007, c. 6, s. 363
Return to footnote lS.C. 2007, c. 6, s. 368
Return to footnote mS.C. 2005, c. 54, s. 449
Return to footnote nS.C. 1991, c. 45
- point of service
point of service means a physical location to which the public has access and at which an institution provides registered products through a natural person in Canada. (point de service)
Definition of registered product
(2) For the purposes of sections 448.3 and 566.1 of the Bank Act, section 385.131 of the Cooperative Credit Associations Act, section 434.1 of the Trust and Loan Companies Act and these Regulations, registered product means a registered education savings plan, a registered retirement savings plan, a registered retirement income fund, a registered disability savings plan or any other plan, arrangement or fund to which Division G of Part I of the Income Tax Act applies that is provided by an institution to a natural person.
Manner of Disclosure
Marginal note:Clear and simple language
2 (1) The information that is required to be provided by an institution under subsection 448.3(1) or 566.1(1) of the Bank Act, subsection 385.131(1) of the Cooperative Credit Associations Act, subsection 434.1(1) of the Trust and Loan Companies Act or these Regulations must be made in language, and presented in a manner, that is clear, simple and not misleading.
Marginal note:Manner of providing information
(2) The information must be provided in writing and orally, subject to the following exceptions:
(a) in the case of an account that is opened by telephone, or an agreement that is entered into by telephone, the institution need only provide the information orally before opening the account or entering into the agreement; and
(b) in the case of an account that is opened by electronic means or by mail, or an agreement that is entered into by electronic means or by mail, the institution need only provide the information in writing before opening the account or entering into the agreement.
Marginal note:Accounts opened by telephone
(3) An institution that only provides information orally in accordance with paragraph (2)(a) must provide the same information in writing after opening the account or entering into the agreement.
Marginal note:Accounts opened by electronic means
(4) An institution that only provides information in writing in accordance with paragraph (2)(b) must, before opening the account or entering into the agreement, provide the telephone number of a person who is knowledgeable about the terms and conditions of the registered product.
Marginal note:Date of the disclosure
(5) An institution that provides the information in writing referred to in subsections (2) to (4) by mail is considered to have provided that information to the individual on the fifth business day after the postmark date.
- SOR/2020-47, s. 18
Circumstances Under Which Information Need Not Be Provided
3 (1) An institution is not required to provide the information referred to in subsection 448.3(1) or 566.1(1) of the Bank Act, subsection 385.131(1) of the Cooperative Credit Associations Act or subsection 434.1(1) of the Trust and Loan Companies Act if
Marginal note:Trust and loan companies
(a) the account to be opened is being opened by the company solely for the purpose of acting as trustee in respect of the registered product; or
(b) the agreement to be entered into is an agreement that the company is entering into solely for the purpose of acting as trustee in respect of the registered product.
Marginal note:Notice of amendments
4 Before amending any terms and conditions in respect of a registered product, the institution must disclose the proposed amendment in writing to the person to whom the product was provided.
List of Charges
Marginal note:Branches and websites
5 (1) An institution must maintain a list of the charges applicable to registered products at each of its branches and points of service where registered products are offered in Canada and on each of its websites through which registered products are offered in Canada.
Marginal note:Making list available
(2) An institution must, on request, make the list available to its customers and to the public for inspection during business hours at each of the branches and points of service referred to in subsection (1).
Coming into Force
Marginal note:August 1, 2011
6 These Regulations come into force on November 1, 2011.
- Date modified: