PUBLIC SERVICE LABOUR RELATIONS ACT
Regulations and Rules of Procedure of the Public Service Staff Relations Board, 1993
The Public Service Staff Relations Board, pursuant to subsections 5.2(1)Footnote * and 22(1)Footnote **, section 28, subsections 29(1), 37(1)Footnote *** and 39(1), section 78.5Footnote ****, subsection 92(2), section 95Footnote *****, subsection 99(1) and section 100 of the Public Service Staff Relations Act, hereby revokes the P.S.S.R.B. Regulations and Rules of Procedure, made on November 7, 1990Footnote ******, and makes the annexed Regulations and Rules of Procedure of the Public Service Staff Relations Board, 1993, in substitution therefor, effective on the date of publication in the Canada Gazette.
Return to footnote *S.C. 1992, c. 54, s. 33
Return to footnote **S.C. 1992, c. 54, s. 39
Return to footnote ***S.C. 1992, c. 54, s. 42(1)
Return to footnote ****S.C. 1992, c. 54, s. 65
Return to footnote *****S.C. 1992, c. 54, s. 69
Ottawa, June 16, 1993
1 These Regulations may be cited as the P.S.S.R.B. Regulations and Rules of Procedure, 1993.
Act means the Public Service Staff Relations Act; (Loi)
application means a complaint, an application for certification, for revocation of certification, for a declaration that a strike is unlawful or lawful and for consent of the Board referred to in section 107 of the Act, as the case may be; (demande)
Board means the Public Service Staff Relations Board; (Commission)
person includes an employee organization, a council of employee organizations and an employer; (personne)
Secretary means the Secretary of the Board and includes an assistant Secretary. (secrétaire)
- terminal date
terminal date means a day which is not less than 10 days and not more than 30 days after the day on which an application is filed. (date limite)
(2) Where a period of time is specified in these Regulations as a number of days, the period shall be computed as being the number of days specified, exclusive of Saturdays and holidays.
(2) The Board, after giving a party the opportunity to reply to a request referred to in subsection (1), may strike from the document the information that is incomplete or insufficiently specific.
4 The Board may direct that a proceeding before the Board be consolidated with any other proceeding before the Board and may issue directions in respect of the conduct of the consolidated proceeding.
5 The Board may adjourn a hearing and specify the day, time, place and terms of its continuance.
6 Notwithstanding any other provision in these Regulations, the Board may
(a) extend the time specified by these Regulations, or allow for additional time to do any act, provide any notice or file any document; or
(b) on notice to all parties, reduce the time specified by these Regulations to do any act, provide any notice or file any document.
- SOR/96-457, s. 1
7 The Board may direct that any person be added as a party to a proceeding or be provided with any document.
(2) The Board, in considering whether an application or complaint should be dismissed pursuant to subsection (1), shall
(3) Where the Board dismisses an application under subsection (1), the Board shall provide a copy of the decision and reasons therefor to the parties.
(4) A party may, no later than on the twenty-fifth day after being provided with a copy of a decision pursuant to subsection (3), file with the Secretary a request that the Board review the decision.
(5) A request for review that is filed pursuant to subsection (4) shall contain a concise statement of the facts and grounds on which the party relies in support of the review.
(6) Where a request for review is filed with the Secretary, the Board shall
(a) provide the party, and any other person who may be affected by the request for a review, with a notice of hearing to show cause as to why the request for a review should be heard;
(b) rescind the decision and direct that the application be proceeded with in accordance with these Regulations; or
(c) confirm in writing the decision dismissing the application.
(7) Where the Board holds a hearing referred to in paragraph (6)(a), the Board shall rescind or confirm the Board’s decision in accordance with paragraph (6)(b) or (c).
9 Where a witness is to be summoned, the summons shall be in Form 1 of the schedule.
10 No proceeding under these Regulations is invalid by reason only of a defect in form or a technical irregularity.
11 Where a procedural matter that is not provided for by these Regulations arises during the course of a proceeding before the Board, the matter shall be dealt with in such manner as the Board directs.
(2) Where a document referred to in paragraph (1)(b) is received by or on behalf of the Secretary after 4:00 p.m. local time of a business day of the Board, the document shall be deemed to be filed with the Secretary on the next business day of the Board.
(2) Where a person who is provided with a notice of hearing fails to attend the hearing or any continuance thereof, the Board may proceed with the hearing and dispose of the matter without further notice to that person.
PART IComplaints Procedure
14 A complaint that is made under section 23 of the Act shall be filed with the Secretary in duplicate in Form 2 of the schedule.
15 The Secretary shall provide each respondent named in a complaint filed pursuant to section 14 with a copy of the complaint.
16 A respondent, no later than on the tenth day after being provided with a copy of a complaint under section 15, may reply thereto by filing with the Secretary a reply in duplicate.
(2) Where the Board decides to hold a hearing, the Secretary shall provide the parties with a notice of hearing after
PART IICertification Procedure
18 In this Part, intervener means an employee organization that intervenes with respect to a certification proceeding before the Board. (intervenant)
19 An application shall be filed with the Secretary in duplicate in Form 3 of the schedule.
20 Where an application is filed under section 19, the Secretary shall
(a) provide the employer named in the application with a copy of the application;
(b) fix a terminal date; and
(c) notify the parties of the terminal date.
21 (1) The Secretary shall provide the employer with as many notices of application in Form 4 of the schedule as are appropriate to the number of employees and the locations at which they are employed.
(2) An employer who has been provided with notices referred to in subsection (1) shall
(a) post the notices, immediately on receipt thereof, in conspicuous places where they are most likely to come to the attention of the employees who may be affected by the application, and keep the notices posted until after the terminal date; and
(b) after the terminal date, file with the Secretary a statement that the employer has complied with paragraph (a).
- Date modified: