Tobacco Reporting Regulations
Marginal note:Manufacturing processes
10 (1) The report on manufacturing must set out, by brand, the following information in respect of the manufacturing processes for each consumer tobacco product that a manufacturer sells, as well as for any cigarette papers, filters or mouthpieces or tips used in the manufacture of those consumer tobacco products:
(a) a detailed description and schematic of the sequential steps that are involved in the manufacture of the consumer tobacco product, cigarette paper, filter or mouthpiece or tip, including any steps where additives, such as processing aids, are used; and
(b) a detailed description of the conditions and parameters relating to each of those steps.
Marginal note:Processing aids
(2) The report must set out the common, chemical and brand name of each processing aid and, if applicable, its CAS registry number.
Marginal note:Product specifications
(3) The report must include, for each brand of cigarettes, kreteks and little cigars that the manufacturer sells,
(a) the type of cigarette paper used in the product, and its specifications;
(b) the type of any filter used in the product, and its specifications and pressure drop, as well as, for those brands analyzed in accordance with subsection 14(13), its efficiency with respect to nicotine, determined in accordance with Official Method T-106, entitled Determination of Filter Efficiency in Mainstream Tobacco Smoke, prepared by the Department of Health, dated December 31, 2017; and
(c) an engineering drawing of the product.
Marginal note:Time limit — existing brands
(4) In the case of a brand of consumer tobacco product that is sold on the day on which this subsection comes into force, or that was sold at any time during the preceding year or the portion of the year before that day, the report must be submitted on or before the 180th day after the day on which this subsection comes into force.
Marginal note:Time limit — new brand
(5) A manufacturer must, on or before the day on which the manufacturer first sells a new brand of consumer tobacco product in a year, submit a report in respect of the new brand.
Marginal note:Exception — sales volume of cigars
(6) However, in the case of a brand of cigars, the manufacturer is not required to submit the report until the manufacturer’s total sales of that brand in a year is at least 1 000 000 units. In that case, the report must be submitted on or before January 31 of the following year.
Marginal note:Exception — identical manufacturing processes
(7) A manufacturer is not required to submit a report in respect of a particular brand of consumer tobacco product if the manufacturer
(a) uses identical manufacturing processes to manufacture a consumer tobacco product that is sold under more than one brand;
(b) submits a report under this section in respect of one of those brands; and
(c) identifies in the report all other brands that are manufactured using those identical manufacturing processes, including the particular brand.
Marginal note:Time limit — changes
(8) If there are changes to the manufacturing processes, processing aids or product specifications, the manufacturer must, on or before the last day of the month following the month in which the change is made, submit a new report that sets out the information referred to in subsections (1) to (3) and that indicates the changes made to the information previously submitted.
Marginal note:Time limit — efficiency with respect to nicotine
(9) In the case of brands of cigarettes analyzed in accordance with subsection 14(13), if there are any changes to the type of filter used in the cigarette, the filter’s specifications or the filter’s pressure drop, the manufacturer must submit a new report that indicates the efficiency with respect to nicotine, as well as the changes made to the information previously submitted, no later than 90 days after the day on which the change is made.
- SOR/2019-64, s. 4
- Date modified: