Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
9.23 (1) A shower room with a door fitted on the inside with a locking device and at least one shower head for every 10 employees or portion of that number shall be provided for employees who regularly perform strenuous physical work in a high temperature or high humidity or whose bodies may be contaminated by a hazardous substance.
(2) Every shower receptor shall be constructed and arranged in such a way that water cannot leak through the walls or floors.
(3) No more than six shower heads shall be served by a single shower drain.
(4) Where two or more shower heads are served by a shower drain, the floor shall be sloped and the drain so located that water from one head cannot flow over the area that serves another head.
(5) Except for column showers, where a battery of shower heads is installed, the horizontal distance between two adjacent shower heads shall be at least 750 mm.
(6) Waterproof finish shall be provided to a height of not less than 1.8 m above the floor in shower rooms and shall consist of ceramic, plastic or metal tile, sheet vinyl, tempered hardboard, laminated thermosetting decorative sheets or linoleum.
(7) Finished flooring in shower rooms shall consist of resilient flooring, felted-synthetic fibre floor coverings, concrete terrazzo, ceramic tile, mastic or other types of flooring providing similar degrees of water resistance.
(8) Where duck boards are used in showers, they shall not be made of wood.
(9) Every shower shall be provided with cold water and hot water that meets the requirements of section 9.18.
(10) Where an employee referred to in subsection (1) takes a shower as a result of his work, a clean towel and soap or other cleaning agent shall be provided to him.
- SOR/88-68, s. 14
- SOR/88-632, s. 33(F)
- SOR/94-263, s. 65(F)
- SOR/2002-208, s. 43(F)
- Date modified: