Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations

Version of section 4 from 2007-06-07 to 2013-12-05:

  •  (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person is competent to operate a pleasure craft

    • (a) if the person has received a mark of at least 75 per cent on a test and has been issued a Pleasure Craft Operator Card;

    • (b) if the person had successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999 and has a Boating Safety Course Completion Card or other written proof of that completion;

    • (c) in the case of a rented pleasure craft,

      • (i) only for the rental period, if both the person who makes the pleasure craft available for rent and the person who will operate the pleasure craft complete and sign before the pleasure craft is operated, a rental boat safety checklist that contains the information referred to in section 8, or

      • (ii) if the person meets the condition set out in paragraph (a) or (b).

  • (2) A person who is not a resident of Canada is competent to operate a pleasure craft if the person

    • (a) has proof of competency as set out in subsection (1); or

    • (b) has been issued a certificate or other similar document by the person’s state or country of residence attesting that the person has acquired the boating safety knowledge required by the state or country.

  • SOR/2007-124, s. 3, err., Vol. 141, No. 15

Date modified: