Marginal note:Limitation where author is first owner of copyright
14 (1) Where the author of a work is the first owner of the copyright therein, no assignment of the copyright and no grant of any interest therein, made by him, otherwise than by will, after June 4, 1921, is operative to vest in the assignee or grantee any rights with respect to the copyright in the work beyond the expiration of twenty-five years from the death of the author, and the reversionary interest in the copyright expectant on the termination of that period shall, on the death of the author, notwithstanding any agreement to the contrary, devolve on his legal representatives as part of the estate of the author, and any agreement entered into by the author as to the disposition of such reversionary interest is void.
(2) Nothing in subsection (1) shall be construed as applying to the assignment of the copyright in a collective work or a licence to publish a work or part of a work as part of a collective work.
(3) [Repealed, 1997, c. 24, s. 11]
(4) [Repealed, R.S., 1985, c. 10 (4th Supp.), s. 3]
- R.S., 1985, c. C-42, s. 14;
- R.S., 1985, c. 10 (4th Supp.), s. 3;
- 1997, c. 24, s. 11.
- Date modified: