Marginal note:Management by Minister
8. (1) The Minister is responsible for the administration, management and control of marine conservation areas in relation to matters not assigned by law to any other Minister of the Crown.
Marginal note:Administration of lands
(2) The Minister has the administration of public lands in marine conservation areas.
Marginal note:Facilities and research
(3) The Minister may maintain and operate facilities and carry out operations and activities to achieve the purposes of this Act, and may conduct scientific research and monitoring and carry out studies based on traditional ecological knowledge, including traditional aboriginal ecological knowledge, in relation to marine conservation areas.
(4) The Minister may enter into agreements with other federal and provincial ministers and agencies, local and aboriginal governments, bodies established under land claims agreements and other persons and organizations for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Management plans
9. (1) The Minister shall, within five years after a marine conservation area is established, in consultation with relevant federal and provincial ministers and agencies, with affected coastal communities, aboriginal organizations, aboriginal governments and bodies established under land claims agreements, and with other persons and bodies that the Minister considers appropriate, prepare a management plan for the marine conservation area that includes a long-term ecological vision for the marine conservation area and provision for ecosystem protection, human use, zoning, public awareness and performance evaluation, which shall be tabled in each House of Parliament.
Marginal note:Review of management plans by Minister
(2) The Minister shall review the management plan for each marine conservation area at least every 10 years and shall cause any amendments to the plan to be tabled in each House of Parliament.
Marginal note:Primary considerations
(3) In order to protect marine ecosystems and maintain marine biodiversity, the primary considerations in the development and modification of management plans and interim management plans shall be principles of ecosystem management and the precautionary principle.
Marginal note:Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
(4) Provisions of a management plan or an interim management plan respecting fishing, aquaculture and fisheries management are subject to an agreement between the Minister and the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.
Marginal note:Minister of Transport and Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
(4.1) Provisions of a management plan or an interim management plan respecting marine navigation and marine safety are subject to an agreement between the Minister, the Minister of Transport and the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.
Marginal note:Land claims agreements
(5) If a marine conservation area includes an area that is the subject of a land claims agreement, the management plan or interim management plan for the marine conservation area and any amendments to it shall be prepared in a manner consistent with any applicable provisions of the agreement.
- 2002, c. 18, s. 9;
- 2005, c. 29, s. 34;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 325.
- Date modified: