Marginal note:Waiting period
13. A claimant is not entitled to be paid benefits in a benefit period until, after the beginning of the benefit period, the claimant has served a two week waiting period that begins with a week of unemployment for which benefits would otherwise be payable.
Rate of Benefits
Marginal note:Rate of weekly benefits
14. (1) The rate of weekly benefits payable to a claimant is 55% of their weekly insurable earnings.
Marginal note:Maximum weekly insurable earnings
(1.1) The maximum weekly insurable earnings is
(a) $750 if the claimant’s benefit period begins during the years 1997 to 2000; and
(b) if the claimant’s benefit period begins in a subsequent year, the maximum yearly insurable earnings divided by 52.
Marginal note:Weekly insurable earnings
(2) A claimant’s weekly insurable earnings are their insurable earnings in the calculation period divided by the number of weeks determined in accordance with the following table by reference to the applicable regional rate of unemployment.
Regional Rate of Unemployment Number of Weeks not more than 6% 22 more than 6% but not more than 7% 21 more than 7% but not more than 8% 20 more than 8% but not more than 9% 19 more than 9% but not more than 10% 18 more than 10% but not more than 11% 17 more than 11% but not more than 12% 16 more than 12% but not more than 13% 15 more than 13% 14
Marginal note:Insurable earnings
(3) Insurable earnings in the calculation period are equal to the total of the following amounts established and calculated in accordance with the regulations:
(a) the claimant’s insurable earnings during the calculation period including those from insurable employment that has not ended but not including any insurable earnings paid or payable to the claimant by reason of lay-off or separation from employment in the qualifying period; and
(b) the insurable earnings paid or payable to the claimant, during the qualifying period, by reason of lay-off or separation from employment.
Marginal note:Calculation period
(4) The calculation period of a claimant is the number of weeks, whether consecutive or not, determined in accordance with the table set out in subsection (2) by reference to the applicable regional rate of unemployment, in the claimant’s qualifying period for which he or she received the highest insurable earnings.
(4.1) [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 604]
- 1996, c. 23, s. 14;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 604.
- Date modified: