S.C. 1993, c. 28
Assented to 1993-06-10
An Act to establish a territory to be known as Nunavut and provide for its government and to amend certain Acts in consequence thereof
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
2. In this Act,
« ministre »
“Minister” means the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development;
« terres domaniales »
“public land” means any land, and any interest in any land, in Nunavut that belongs to Her Majesty in right of Canada or of which the Government of Canada has power to dispose;
« Tunngavik »
“Tunngavik” means Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated, a corporation without share capital incorporated under Part II of the Canada Corporations Act, R.S.C. 1970, c. C-32, and any successor to that corporation.
- 1993, c. 28, s. 2;
- 1998, c. 15, s. 1.
ESTABLISHMENT AND GOVERNMENT
Establishment of Nunavut
Marginal note:Establishment of Nunavut
3. There is hereby established a territory of Canada, to be known as Nunavut, consisting of
(a) all that part of Canada north of the sixtieth parallel of north latitude and east of the boundary described in Schedule I that is not within Quebec or Newfoundland; and
(b) the islands in Hudson Bay, James Bay and Ungava Bay that are not within Manitoba, Ontario or Quebec.
Seat of Government
4. The seat of government of Nunavut shall initially be at such place in Nunavut as the Governor in Council may designate, but the Legislature for Nunavut may thereafter designate another place as the seat of government.
Commissioner of Nunavut
5. (1) There shall be a chief executive officer for Nunavut, called the Commissioner of Nunavut, who shall be appointed by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Publication of order
(2) The order in council appointing the Commissioner shall be published in the Canada Gazette.
Marginal note:Action of Commissioner
6. (1) The Commissioner shall act in accordance with any written instructions given to the Commissioner by the Governor in Council or the Minister.
(2) The Commissioner shall, as soon as possible after receiving written instructions, make them available to the Executive Council of Nunavut and cause them to be laid before the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut, but they are effective when they are made.
- Date modified: