Marginal note:Executive powers
7. The executive powers that, immediately before the coming into force of this section, were vested by any laws of Canada in the Commissioner of the Northwest Territories shall be exercised by the Commissioner of Nunavut so far as they are applicable to and capable of being exercised in relation to the government of Nunavut as it is constituted at the time of the exercise of those powers.
Marginal note:Deputy Commissioner
8. The Governor in Council may appoint a Deputy Commissioner of Nunavut, who, if the Commissioner is absent, ill or unable to act or the office of Commissioner is vacant, has and may exercise and perform all of the powers, duties and functions of the Commissioner.
Marginal note:Oaths of office
9. The Commissioner and the Deputy Commissioner shall, before assuming the duties of their respective offices, take and subscribe such oaths of office and allegiance as the Governor in Council may prescribe.
Marginal note:Absence or incapacity
10. If both the Commissioner and the Deputy Commissioner are absent, ill or unable to act or both those offices are vacant, the senior judge, within the meaning of subsection 22(3) of the Judges Act, of the Nunavut Court of Justice has and may exercise and perform all of the powers, duties and functions of the Commissioner.
- 1993, c. 28, s. 10;
- 1999, c. 3, s. 1.
Executive Council of Nunavut
Marginal note:Executive Council established
11. There is hereby established an Executive Council of Nunavut, the members of which are appointed by the Commissioner on the recommendation of the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut.
Legislature for Nunavut
Marginal note:Legislature established
12. There is hereby established a Legislature for Nunavut consisting of the Commissioner and the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut.
Legislative Assembly of Nunavut
Marginal note:Assembly established
13. There is hereby established a Legislative Assembly of Nunavut, each member of which is elected to represent an electoral district in Nunavut.
Marginal note:Number of members and electoral districts
14. The Legislature may make laws prescribing the number of members of the Assembly and describing and naming the electoral districts in Nunavut.
- 1993, c. 28, s. 14;
- 1998, c. 15, s. 2.
15. (1) Writs for the election of members of the Assembly shall be issued on the instructions of the Commissioner.
(2) [Repealed, 1998, c. 15, s. 3]
- 1993, c. 28, s. 15;
- 1998, c. 15, s. 3.
- Date modified: